Conversion: A4LD to Manual- Kirbys 93 Navajo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Conversion: A4LD to Manual- Kirbys 93 Navajo

Allright, got the crapped out a4ld out last night, gathered some parts and valuable info this morning(thanks Brett), and got the steering collumn and pedals out tonight. I hoping to have the thing ready for a tranny by tomarrow. Now just got to figure out what 5 speed to use... I will get some pics up soon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey did you get a t-case...lol

No seriously you are going to hate the 5-speed as much as the a4ld. Why didn't you just get the AA 700r4 kit, it would have been a lot easier ;)

you found your parts for your conversion then? so your A4LD is shot then? thought you had another one that was good? hope all goes well with this conversion?

My A4LD started slipping after the fluid change a couple of weeks ago. Sorry Swee! My advice is don't buy a rebuild off of Ebay. Piece o junk! It had a year warranty on it and of course a year was over in january(not to mention the guys cell is dissconnected). I really didn't see it comming. Two weeks ago it was shifting like it's normal self. I am just glad I was already researching and planning on doing a manual conversion.
I got a deal on a Tcase pending, if I get the tranny thing figured out before I get the Tcase deal figured out with Kurt, I will just put the electric one back in for a while- hate to do it:rolleyes: Thanks anyways Clint. Many people around here should swap out for yours!

Hope I am happier with the manual. I am going to have to do gears too because my auto had a 3.07 1st. We will see...

Oh, I want to go to manual because I am tired of putting in a4lds that don't last. Brett reccommmended a c5. I would do a 700r4, but it will be costly, there is always the unexpected in that type of conversion (not to say I won't be surprised in this swap!) and to tell you the truth I just like the manual. Simpler is better in my mind. I know a few guys on here have rebuilt thier manuals, but for the most part, if I have problems with my manual it will be a clutch or slave cylinder. I don't mind dropping the tranny and a hundred bucks once in a while. You guys know a tranny in my truck will be stressed, I think the manual will hold up to me better;)

will the C5 bolt up to everything underneath or will adapters have to be used? does the C5 have the overdrive? i'm lookin for a new tranny, but i think the auto is what i'll stick with. good luck with it all Kirby. i've bought a few things from a company like that who have disconnected their phones.

Kirby,

Good luck with your swap! Brett can be a big help, believe me.........when we did my truck (opposite 5 speed to A4LD) we didnt really run into any unexpected issues, but thats because of the amount of time researching and gathering parts we spent.

Let me know if you have any questions, it should be rather straight forward, the wiring can get just a little bit tricky, but its not too difficult if you have the right info.

Personally I wouldnt put another Mazda 5 speed in my truck if Mazda sponsored the conversion, but there were many reasons why if never worked right in my BII (mismatch of years, bad tranny builders, etc) so just take your time, use all new parts, and dont skip any corners..pay a little now or ALOT later :)

Keep us posted!

C5? No idea! I think they came in mustangs, or full sizes and possibly some Bronco IIs and Rangers I really have no clue! I do know that they have no overdrive, so they aren't good for highway use.

Brett knows his stuff. I havent got to the wiring yet, just trying to figure out the pedals and steering collumn. Nothing unexpected, just takes some time. I am still waiting to hear from my buddy, but I am trying to work out a deal on his totalled 2000 ranger for the tranny and motor. We will see. I am trying to use all new parts, it only takes money I guess.

Thanks for the encouragement fellas.

i think so too...just curious what could all be done to get rid of the a4ld. i have read up on the 700r4, but i dunno. my motor took a dump on me so we had the heads checked for cracks, and nothing can be done with my tranny yet! oh well, good luck with your conversion Kirby. Keep us updated. this may be the way i go.

The C series (C4, C5, C6) are all 3speed automatics. Great for a trail rig, not to hot for the street.

Kirby I have the new manual t-case coming in Monday and I will need to check it out to ensure it is tight. I will try to get it shipped out to ya next week.

Thanks Kurt. I will have everything doen on yours by the end of this week and out on monday.

I got the tranny in! Works great! I put a completely new hydrolic system for the clutch. The only thing that is wierd is the shield between the flywheel and motor makes some noise. I don't care! I am not taking it out again! The master cylinder hose did not match the new slave cylinder so I had to go get one at the last minute last night and the only place that had them was Ford accross town.

Also, I only have a shifter that is modded for a Body Lift so it sits halfway up my dash! It is nice! I need a snake head on it now (only kidding).

Now I got to get some 4.56s, because with out the low gear that I had in auto it is guttless!

Thanks for the input!

that didn't take you too long to do man...what was the expenses dealing with your project?

Alright, everything is pretty good, thank God! I have been driving it for a week or two and it seems OK. I don't have low because of a wiring issue and I cant time the stupid thing because the indexer deal is broke off. I got a flywheel w/ marks, but no refrence. Can you time the explorer anyways, or is it done w/ the computer? I looked in the book a little, but I ran out of patience.

Also, my 8.8 got 4.56s today. I am still waiting on the front end to come in the mail. Anybody ever chunked Spider gears? Mine were spent! Teeth missing and everything! Maybe that is why the rear end loked up so well! Got in the Trac lok and everything! I ended up having to buy spiders and rebuild the track lok. Probably better anyways. My truck has guts now, but I can't see how it wheels until I have the fronts in and low:( bummer!

Originally posted by 410Fortune
Kirby,

Good luck with your swap! Brett can be a big help, believe me.........when we did my truck (opposite 5 speed to A4LD) we didnt really run into any unexpected issues, but thats because of the amount of time researching and gathering parts we spent.

..................so just take your time, use all new parts, and dont skip any corners..pay a little now or ALOT later :)

Keep us posted!

Taking your time will surely pay off!

Research is what made my swap really smooth.

And paying a little now does save huge factors in time and extra monies!

If you have questions, as you well know, we are here to help! ;)

BTW: PICTURES!

I will add some more to this thread L8R.

Originally posted by Kirby N.

Also, I only have a shifter that is modded for a Body Lift so it sits halfway up my dash! It is nice! I need a snake head on it now (only kidding).

www.rocknob.com

SVT Girl got one for me for X-Mas and I love it!!!!!

mellor.jpg

Kirby,
i am pickin me up a rolled 92 tomorrow and am just going to swap in the manual tranny and motor in mine....have any info on what i may look for when i get started on this? how long did it take you from start to finish? can it be done in a weekend?

thanks man hope all is well with yours

Swee,
Does it have a manual Tcase? Does it have a good Radiator? I need some parts!! I did it in about a week of scattered nights, but I also had the Tranny out before so I knew what all was needed to make it happen. The Getting the auto out was prabably the biggest part of non-Conversion stuff. I would unboilt the Tcase and drop it out, (Leave in the Gas Tank) you will need to take off the Skid for this. Then unbolt the tranny and the crossmemember. Don't forget to take off the Exhaust completely. Mine wouldn't come off where the Ypipe connects to the Manifold, so I unbolted the Drives Manifold. Then it will drop far enough to get the tranny out. Take the muffler and Cats completely out. Take off the Starter.

The biggest Part of the swap was the Steering Cullumn and the Pedals. Everything is bolt on and should swap right to your truck, just takes time. The Pedals assembly is a whole housing that will bolt to the Brake master Cylinder with 4 bolts, then on top with a screw and 2 other bolts. I removed the collumn, swapped the pedals, then put in the new collumn. YOu will also need to swap the CLutch master and the sensor for the Cruise. There should be a plug with a "Dummy" deal in there for that sensor already under the dash. Also, you will need the wiring harness for the manual to sawp. The wire harness connects into the manual Tranny in 2 spots, then connects to the motor with the Oil Level Sensor, and another sensor. Then the Clutch and flywheel, slave and a shifter. Here is all you will need from the Donor:

Clutch:
Pedals
Master/ Slave
Hydrolic line fromt the Master to the Slave
Flywheel
CLutch/ Pressure Plate
Cruise Sensor
Manual Starter (They Are different)
Shield between Tranny and Motor

Electrical
1 Wiring Harness for Neutral Safety and junk
Manual Computer (I didn't use it because I am Cheap, but I wish I did)

Steering Collumn
Shifter

The Radiators from the autos have a oil cooling line in them, but just plug the lines. It is a better Radiator then the Manual. 2 Core I think...

Hope that helps.

Pretty much all of this knowledge came from Brett telling me first. He is the mastermind...

Email me or call me if you run into issues. 719-481-3093.

Kirby,
I am gettin the whole vehicle so i will have everything to do the swap...i go to greeley tomorrow to pick it up. So the engine that is in my truck now will be getting sold along with the old automatic...i'm not sure what transfer case is in it, but i think Hix might want it if it is the manual. i'll let you know when i begin my conversion..how does it do with the 4.56's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It works alot better but I wish I went with 5.13s

Back