• Register Today It's free!

conversions on a 93 explorer

timothywoodster

Reaction score
City, State
Midway Park, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4x4
I have a 1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4. I had a couple of questions. Is it possible to convert the rear drum brakes to disc brakes? Also, What do I need to convert from push button 4x4 to manual locking hubs 4x4? Or, what would be the best possible conversion from push button to anything else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the exact same question about the brakes, so i will just bump this one

The brakes, not sure... As for the auto transfer case to the manual... Do a search... this topic has been brought up, discussed to the point of death, and brought back to life again... As far as I'm concerned, the concept of this site is to help people do their own work on their trucks... try doing your own work on the site as well...

The brakes, not sure... As for the auto transfer case to the manual... Do a search... this topic has been brought up, discussed to the point of death, and brought back to life again... As far as I'm concerned, the concept of this site is to help people do their own work on their trucks... try doing your own work on the site as well...

Wow, you are a :censored:hole

Yeah, not feeling particularly patient today... but the topic has been covered before, and every forum I've ever been on has pushed the search function... I have the manual transfer case, so I've never searched for the swap, but this topic comes up every week or two...

Yeah, not feeling particularly patient today... but the topic has been covered before, and every forum I've ever been on has pushed the search function... I have the manual transfer case, so I've never searched for the swap, but this topic comes up every week or two...

And it always will. From now until the end of time you can count on 3-4 threads like this a week. I tried to use the search on several topics, but couldn't find it. You never know exactly where to search sometimes also. Anyways, no reason to blow your stack at a new guy just trying to learn

Yeah we where all new at one time, ask as many ?s as you want. Just try to search first that’s all we ask. And there is no need to call anyone on this site an _ hole this is family site, PG please!

As for pope_face please don’t put anyone down or belittle them, we where all new at one time. This site is to educate people on there explorers thanks!

you can switch to man hubs without doing anything to the tcase...they really arent connected, you can also swap in a borg warner 1354 manual shift tcase to get rid of the push button shifting....as for the disc breaks, i think there is a kit, but it might be easier to get a rear end from a 96+ explorer with the same gear ratio and swap that it, they all had disc breaks.

And there is no need to call anyone on this site an _ hole this is family site, PG please!

I didn't. I put up the "censored" smiliey, an then typed "hole". No one corrected me or moderated my post. I understand the family thing and didn't put anything up that was inappropriate

Alright, I apologize for being an idiot above... It was a stupid thing to do... just been a stressful week...

As for the conversion, I don't know how to do it... but it looks like someone else has posted the information, so hopefully that'll help everyone...

---casually changes subject---

The rear axle housing is essentially the same from 1991-2001. 91-94 had drums, 95-01 had disc.

You can swap the WHOLE rear-end, or just swap the brake hardware. Make sure you grab everything from the donor vehicle though. Cables, bolts, hoses, and hardware.

The Master Cylinder needs to be swapped out too. But I can't remember what the EXACT application to buy is....I think it's 1995 or 1996 but I forget what else you need to know to get the right one for a 1st Gen Swap.

Ryan

No need for the different master cylinder, just roll the actuating pin a bit farther into the booster. Brett's writeup covers this.

I was told by a few people that M/C should be swapped out, but I have found in my experience swapping to Rear Discs and then 13" Cobra fronts, the M/C is nearly perfect.

Ryan

Back