• Register Today It's free!

Convert 2wd to 4wd questions

dhawkins556

Reaction score
City, State
Denham Springs, La
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT 2wd
Hey yall, sorry if this has been covered. And I don't know where else to post this. But I am wanting to do the 2wd to 4wd swap on my "new" 1999 Ford Explorer. Ive looked at a 4wd ranger of the same year, and it was also torsion bars. So my question is, can I get a front diff (hubs and all), upper control arms, transmission, t-case, and driveshaft and just BOOM, have 4wd?

Thank you for any input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you will need knuckles, hub bearings, rotors, axles, front diff, transmission, transfer case, driveshafts, GEM module, 4x4 switch, system harness for the transfer case, etc unless these trucks are wired from the factory and possibly the rear diff depending on your gear ratio vs. the donor, The ranger rear axle is spring over and most likely drum brake and would take a little work to get into the ex, best to use yours and regear if needed. The transfer case in the ranger is most likely a 1354e and the ex will require some wiring mods for it to operate covered here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316510
even if you get a explorer 4405 transfer case there will most likely be wiring involved.
if you are not into wiring the best would be to swap all the components and go with a manual 1354 transfer case, the only wiring here would be for the 4x4 indicators in the dash if you want them, think that covers it, anyone else want to chime in?

You didn't mention whether your truck is a V6 or V8.

It makes a world of difference!

The best thing to do is to trade for what you want.

The next best thing would be to find a cheap donor vehicle to purchase for parts.

And be prepared for lots of vehicle down time.

MT

v6 or v8 is not so different, still swapping all the stuff I mentioned just need V8 parts vs. V6 parts is all, and a different manual transfer case. I wouldn't bother swapping in a AWD case. its not that bad a swap at all.

I'm gathering parts for this swap at the moment, and one question I haven't found a definitive answer for is whether the stamped steel or cast aluminum oil pan on the 5.0 is preferred. I have the steel one and it looks as though it is formed to allow clearance for the front axle, but I want to be sure.

v6 or v8 is not so different, still swapping all the stuff I mentioned just need V8 parts vs. V6 parts is all, and a different manual transfer case. I wouldn't bother swapping in a AWD case. its not that bad a swap at all.

It matters more than you think.

You can pick up a donor vehicle a lot cheaper than buying the individual parts, but like you said the AWD t-case is a waste of time, so that means having to buy the BW 4406 the 2 driveshafts and the shifter and linkages.

A process I have just completed. The only thing left to buy is the conversion u-joint.

There is no plug and play donor vehicle for this swap.

MT

Not sure why it matters v6 or v8? a donor vehicle can be had for each easily, the same components are being swapped, front end parts, trans and transfer regardless if it a v6 or v8 no? if you are going with a manual t case you are still sourcing a front shaft for both v6 and v8, and the v8 would still need the conversion joint for the front shaft and a 5.4 expedition rear shaft, both need shifters installed etc. still seems like the same amount of wrench time and process to me either way.

Not sure why it matters v6 or v8? a donor vehicle can be had for each easily, the same components are being swapped, front end parts, trans and transfer regardless if it a v6 or v8 no? if you are going with a manual t case you are still sourcing a front shaft for both v6 and v8, and the v8 would still need the conversion joint for the front shaft and a 5.4 expedition rear shaft, both need shifters installed etc. still seems like the same amount of wrench time and process to me either way.

If it's a V8 there is no donor vehicle available to put 4WD in without buying from multiple vehicles.

MT

same as I said; if you have a v6 and are are going with a manual case (great idea) you need to source parts from multiple vehicles, same as the v8 manual case swap. If you were doing a straight up swap on either, not using manual cases, the donor exists for both, in fact the v8 would most likely be a little less work with no wiring involved because it is an AWD case

I have the V6 OHV.

My plans were to keep it as bolt in/no wiring as possible.
I am perfectly fine going with a manual transfer case (which sounds simpler)

I was actually hoping for no wiring..... just front end one weekend, then trans and transfer case the next. I know that's wishful thinking.

Actually that is exactly the way to go, you are on the right track. So you will need the front end components I mentioned above, the 4wd transmission, a manual 1354 transfer case and shifter assembly, and a front shaft ideally from the same vehicle you get the case from, if not 91-96 explorer and ranger should have the front shaft you need, you didnt mention if you had a sport or 4 door, you will need the rear shaft from the 4x4 version of what you have. On some I have had to change the rear flange on the transfer case to match the explorer driveshaft, bu that's easy. U can PM me if you have any questions at all.

Actually that is exactly the way to go, you are on the right track. So you will need the front end components I mentioned above, the 4wd transmission, a manual 1354 transfer case and shifter assembly, and a front shaft ideally from the same vehicle you get the case from, if not 91-96 explorer and ranger should have the front shaft you need, you didnt mention if you had a sport or 4 door, you will need the rear shaft from the 4x4 version of what you have. On some I have had to change the rear flange on the transfer case to match the explorer driveshaft, bu that's easy. U can PM me if you have any questions at all.

Awesome! Thank you very much. I may take you up on that offer the closer I get. Thanks!

Back