• Register Today It's free!

Convert Leaf > Coil Springs?

Aviator4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Stockholm
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99
Hey, I wonder if there is any info on converting from the rear leafs to coilsprings? due to the rear ground clearance (shackles..)

did try to search but couldnt find anything.. anybody who has done this? any kit available? any info at all would be helpful, thanks!

You would need to link the rear end. Very few people here have done this. I can't think of anyone off hand that I could point you to as an example.

I have thought of doing this, not for more ground clearance, but to eliminate axle wrap.

you could so a simple 3 or 4 link and put the coilovers off the axle. the problem with doing a traditional link setup on explorers is you lose the bench seat in the back due to shock placement. doing it off the axle means the shocks can be placed behind the seat and out of the way.

I have a very untraditional link setup on my explorer. its a simple 3 link with a set of reverse trailing arms to hold the shocks. i have a build thread on here if you want to check it out for possible ideas.

You would need to link the rear end. Very few people here have done this. I can't think of anyone off hand that I could point you to as an example.

I have thought of doing this, not for more ground clearance, but to eliminate axle wrap.

thats also a good idea, by the way i like the setup on your X, today what ive got is 99 xlt, tt, shackles and a 3" BL, with 34" tyres.. pretty straight forward.. now the next step is the suspension because i really need more flex! everything else besides the lift is stock, the rear is some kind of automatic air spring..

Any ideas for suspension? ive been searching alot, through the web, on this forum but i cant find any good detailed thread on what people have done, suspensionwise, where to get it, how they did it.. etc...

Back