Converting a borg warner 1354 electric shift to a borg warner manual shift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Converting a borg warner 1354 electric shift to a borg warner manual shift

RyanT85

Reaction score
City, State
Hayward, California/Chico, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Sport
I have been wanting to get rid of the electric shift transfer case i have in my 94 sport and heard that the borg warner manual 1354 will fit but have been unable to locate one or anyone that has done it. just looking for opinion on where to get the transfer case and any advice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

base model 91-94 explorers

I have done it, along with a few members on this site. Its pretty simple, if you have questions just pm me.

You will need:

BW 1354 Manual T-case

Manual Shift linkages part #OF0TZ-7210-A

Transmission Hump plate with two holes for Shifter (one hole if auto)

New Tranmission tranfercase boot. (the Stock one will not Work)

and a Shifter knob for the transfercase.

This is all you will need to do the Conversion.

Someone must know and I have searched all night. I being half awake this morning bought a electric shift 1354 can I make my own linkage and make it a manual I figure there should be a write up but haven't found one.

Someone help me out.

There's no writeup but you just have to make something to rotate the shift-rod. The hardest part is that the rotation from 2HI to 4LO is pretty far (angle wise) and its rotation is perpendicular to the chassis, so adapting a normal shifter is difficult since most shifters rotate parallel with the chassis.

Izwak I've been seeing your name a lot lately getting ready for my sas.

I've come up with a few linkage ideas that may work. Right now I have 3 plans:

A: look at the linkage to a manual 1354 and adapt (I've got all the necessary equipment)

B: Figure out the motor and make my own custom switch for it.

C: Fab up my own linkage

Okay and D: Buy a freakin manual 1354

Alright ended finding a manual 1354 for $125!!

Question now is what driveshaft I have read about 9 different ways on here. What I think would work is a 95 front driveshaft. Is this correct? I have a '99. I don't want to have one custom made as I am putting a D44 in this winter. this is just to keep me on the trails until then.

thanks in advance for any help

you can go with a driveshaft from a 1st gen -- 91-94 Explorer.

Back