Converting a Platinum to Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Converting a Platinum to Sport

Michael W

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
18 Explorer Platinum
I like all the features of the '17 Platinum that I can't get on the Sport model: rain sensing wipers, non-black seats, parking assist, multi-contour seats, heated rear seats, digital instrument cluster, automatic high beams.
I would like the Platinum to handle like the Sport and have Sport wheels, lights and trim.

Any idea what it might cost to do this and how to go about it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those items you mentioned may help to make it 'look' like a Sport but make it handle 'handle' like one, not so much. There are more differences in the Sport than what you can see. Check out this post; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...6-limited-or-sport.431572/page-2#post-3450473
Some members have tinted the front and rear lights but keep in mind that this also reduces light output to some degree.
Best bet is to go onto one of the parts websites and price out the various items you want. www.fordparts.com is the only one that I've seen that has the 2017 model. Other site just list up to the 2016 Explorer.

Peter

Peter:

Your knowledge of these forums is astounding. I understand after reading a lot that the Sport has some parts that are different (springs, for example, lowering the vehicle a bit and different wheels...all expensive mods I may not undertake) but I was thinking wondering about some of the cosmetics that I care about. Again, I haven't acquired a vehicle yet so I don't know if I CAN'T live without the "Sport" appearance.

Having been a member since December 2010 gives me a fairly good idea of what has been posted along the way. That and the use of the invaluable 'Search' feature helps a lot.:)

Peter:

Your knowledge of these forums is astounding. I understand after reading a lot that the Sport has some parts that are different (springs, for example, lowering the vehicle a bit and different wheels...all expensive mods I may not undertake) but I was thinking wondering about some of the cosmetics that I care about. Again, I haven't acquired a vehicle yet so I don't know if I CAN'T live without the "Sport" appearance.

There are lots of posts and pictures where people have done different cosmetic changes that apply some of those. Look at the What did you do to your 5th gen today? thread.

I looked at the suspension differences, because I expected to see different sway bars and such, but I was surprised to find that the suspension parts are largely the same across all models. The only major difference that I spotted, looking at part numbers, is the springs.

When I was researching my purchase, I went with the Sport mainly for the features and sport drive feel. The Platinum features were too much $ for the trim level. The only feature I wanted from the Platinum that I plan to ADD to my sport is the rear heated seats. $62.

I tend to MOD my vehicles a lot. I don't find much MOD sections on this forum nor any others. But man, when I had my F150, there was MODS galore! Different crowd i guess. I make all my vehicles my own by tweaking and moding to make it unique.

....... The only feature I wanted from the Platinum that I plan to ADD to my sport is the rear heated seats. $62.
I'm guessing you mean the 2nd row (middle) seats and not the 3rd row (rear) seats.;)

Peter

When I was researching my purchase, I went with the Sport mainly for the features and sport drive feel. The Platinum features were too much $ for the trim level. The only feature I wanted from the Platinum that I plan to ADD to my sport is the rear heated seats. $62.

I tend to MOD my vehicles a lot. I don't find much MOD sections on this forum nor any others. But man, when I had my F150, there was MODS galore! Different crowd i guess. I make all my vehicles my own by tweaking and moding to make it unique.

Only $62 for rear heated seats, not bad. That's a mod I would like to do. I agree on the lack of mod threads. Guess not many mod their rides. Then again, the lack of companies making mod parts doesn't help. I can't even do a lift with coilovers, guess spacers only.

Explorers are 'family/ people movers', not Mustangs to hot rod. :rolleyes: :chug:

Only $62 for rear heated seats, not bad. That's a mod I would like to do. I agree on the lack of mod threads. Guess not many mod their rides. Then again, the lack of companies making mod parts doesn't help. I can't even do a lift with coilovers, guess spacers only.

Here is a PAIR for $69: https://www.amazon.com/Sojoy-Univer...931279&sr=8-2&keywords=heated+car+seat+insert
Here's another for $63 (maybe no switch):https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-628-0...rd_wg=USnL1&psc=1&refRID=FE9MMJHEFBFY14PV1PP1

Back