converting an all wheel drive 4 milage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

converting an all wheel drive 4 milage

green machine

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I have a 96 4 door with the V8 all wheel drive. I was wondering if anyone knows if there would be any problems if i took out the front driveline. My concern is that since it has the control track, I don't want to confuse the computer or do you think anything would happen. If anyone has any other suggestions I am open. Trying to get some better milage during the summer. Please help! Any other suggestions for affordable power upgrades or milage boosters would be apprecated!!!!

new explorers dont have hubs so that is out of the question

As stated beofre I am not sure how much milage you will get from doing this. the V-8 is pretty thirsty with or without a front driveline. i would not remove it. You (or whoever bought it new) paid extra for it to have AWD so why take it off? It will lower the value of the vehicle. If I was really dying for better milage I would consider trading for a SOHC just like the V-8 you have now. Thatway you get better milage, good power, and better fuel economy. I know it isn't practical in most situations, but it's an idea?

------------------
TravisN1@AOL.COM
1995 XLT 4x4
80,000 miles
K&N Drop-in
Bosch +4's
BFG Long Trails
Have a nice day! :)

Your AWD is not controlled by a computer. Within the transfer case there is a self-contained disk pac with half of the disks connected to the front and half to the rear (every other one). The disks have holes through-out, and the entire pac is within a sealed container filled with a silicone based fluid that has a very high (low?) sheer. When one set of axles slips in relation to the other, the silicone gets VERY THICK almost instantly, transferring torque to the the front. You cannot remove the front drive shaft to improve economy. Ford went to AWD vice selectable 4x4 with the V-8 because the V-8 model was introduced to compete with Jeep's GC V-8, and Ford didn't have a V-8 in the Explorer. There was not enought room to install the hardware (transmission and transfer case) of a V-8 in the existing floor pan without extensive re-engineering, something Ford was not willing to do at the time. Proof will be if the new Explorer 4.6 V-8 has a selectible 4x4 system. Many of us hope that happens. FYI, Audi found with their Quattro (4x4) model that, at speeds above about 40 MPH, the loss in efficiency when driving the non-driven wheels as opposed to dragging or pushing the non-driven wheels, is only about 5%. Any increase in fuel economy would not be worth the added expense of replacing the transfer case and adding locking hubs on the front. I don't think anyone make locking hubs for the new Explorers. Jim

Back