Converting to auto headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Converting to auto headlights

hacksawwv

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac XLT
I have a 2007 Sport Trac and I want to convert to auto headlights. I replaced the headlight switch but still no auto headlights, but they do come on after I turn the windshield wipers on. Has anyone done this conversion or have any input? I do have a sun load sensor on the dash that blinks a red light. Any help would be great. Thanks in advvance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the photo light sensor is there.... but there are wire looms and controls that are different on the autolight options .... when you unlock your doors at night and the fog lights come on it is the sensor on the other side of your fake alarm light detecting this

I solve the headlight on / off question by just turning on my headlights and fog lights whenever I start my explorer, day or night, rain or shine. Gives me an extra safety margin by providing higher visibility of and for my vehicle, as well a complying with our state law regarding having headlights on in low visibility and rainy conditions. The extremely low cost in terms of bulb life is worth it when compared to other's life or mine!!

On Edit: I got to thinking that maybe you were asking about an auto dimming control. if so, consider that an auto dimming control must see the lights of an on-comming vehicle before dimming your lights. That means your lights are shining into the other guy's face before they are dimmed.

Not satisfactory in my opinion: I try to watch for on-comming headlights and dim mine before they get in the on-comming guy's face. Maybe just me, but I really do try to be among the most polite drivers!!

I was watching earlier this week in our 2009 which has Auto ON headlights. I could see the NAV display switching between dark background (night mode) to bright background a number of times it was overcast with snow coming and the roads were snow covered. This is considerably more sensitive than the 2002 which also the same option built in. I wasn't even close to sunset darkness.

I would be confusing for both oncomers as well as people following as to why the lights are alternating in a relatively short period of time. Other times it just stayed on it seems for a longer period since the NAV stayed Dark. My son was driving and said he notice it before.

In our state it's illegal to have fog lights on when conditions don't warrant.

In our state it's illegal to have fog lights on when conditions don't warrant.

what differentiates fog lights and auxiliary driving lights.... since these lights only come on a 4wd explorer and not called fog lights in the equipment group

A lot of pickup drive with them on here in Ontario at night. I have switched them all to Nokya bright yellow 2500k equivalents which are much better than white. Visibility is improved for driver and oncoming as it more noticeable especially in foggy overcast conditions

Back