Converting to Led head lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Converting to Led head lights

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't. Stock incandescent housings don't focus or aim the beam properly. You need a matched set of LED bulb with a housing/reflector engineered to work with it.

Don't. Stock incandescent housings don't focus or aim the beam properly. You need a matched set of LED bulb with a housing/reflector engineered to work with it.
JC are you saying that the light spray, for lack of a better term, will be unarmed and potentially in oncoming traffic?
Or that without thebreflectors the amount of throw and down road visibility will be bad?

Would projector housings like
http://www.topgearautosport.com/par...001_Black_CCFL_Halo_Projector_Headlights.html
Help?

I put OPT7 brand LED headlight bulbs in my 2006 mustang and don't have any problems. I rarely get flashed. Brightness wise, they are about the same as halogen bulbs BUT on wet roads or dark nights, the LEDs will actually show, unlike the halogens which looked like they were not in at all. Another huge difference I noticed is anything reflective, it lights up like a Christmas tree! Construction zones, semi trailers, street signs, etc. are super bright and almost to the point of blinding with high beams on. As far as the halogen reflective housing not being correct, it is no worse than the halogens, maybe slightly more dead spots just because LEDs are a different kind of bulb. Ya, projector housings designed for LEDs are best but LEDs in the halogen reflectors do work. Like I said before, I rarely get flashed by on coming drivers. My parents 2016 F150 with the OEM projector headlights get flashed more often than I ever have in my mustang with LEDs in the halogen reflector housings.

Batx00, that you do not get flashed is not proof of anything. I get blinded often by people who do that and I don't flash them because it's obvious they're not on their high beams but rather have altered their headlights, so for the time being there was nothing they could do except turn their headlights off which obviously wasn't going to happen.

To whatever extent they light the road more, they also shine into oncoming traffic more. The only way around that would be to deliberately aim your headlights more to the right, but then you're worse off for discerning detail up the road and still blind people because of the color of the light. The more the color temperature shifts from red to blue the worse the effect.

Obviously "some" vehicles have headlight reflectors that make this worse than others, in combination with specific bulb designs and light intensities. It's also worse in the case of a vehicle with higher headlights like a truck or SUV, when behind a car and the headlights flood the passenger compartment.

That can be VERY dangerous yet people with brighter lights don't accept they have to drive further back behind the car they're following than anyone else due to this. Also remember that even things like stopping at a stop light at night, you can't pull up as close to the vehicle stopped in front of you. You'll night blind the person in front. How would they even let you know, get out and bang on your window?

Regardless, I'm quite sure that many people who put the LED lights in incan housings are in deliberate denial, refusing to accept IF their lights help them see better, it's at the expense of everyone else on the road.

Ironically I've even told people when I noticed their lights and they said something similar to "I doubt it because nobody has ever said anything." Hmm, but I just did.

:banghead:

Actually people flashing you tells you a lot and if you need to change something. Part of the reason why I bought the OPT7 brand bulbs is because they claim to have designed their LED bulbs to work in halogen housings and tried to replicate a halogen. My brother put these in his 83 mustang. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M9D2WMB/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1506662652&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=led+rectangular+headlights&dpPl=1&dpID=61g+ulhW0fL&ref=plSrch
The bottom row is only lit on low beam BUT he still had to aim them way way way down before people quit flashing him with the low beams on. Note that these are DOT approved, DOT legal and specially designed for LEDs. Now the people running HIDs in halogen housings are the ones that blind everyone and everything. Those things are super bright, brighter than most LED bulbs on the market, and come in all kinds of colors too. I especially love those jeep mall crawlers and jacked up 4x4 trucks running the LED light bars at night on the paved roads around town. The flood they put out is huge and extreme. I find projector headlights to be the worst for blinding oncoming traffic but they also have amazing visibility at night too.

^ No Batx00, they are not DOT approved. [rant removed]

That's a false claim on their part. DOT sets a standard and a light kit could be DOT compliant as implemented on a specific vehicle, but that comes down to the integrity (or lack thereof) of the seller, or manufacturer or distributor in the case of generic Chinese lights where it's a mystery who first started fibbing then everyone else just states that's what they were told.

Actually people flashing you tells you a lot and if you need to change something.

No it doesn't. Every day I see blinding lights and don't flash people because there is nothing they can do at that moment because their lights are still on low beam. It is obvious the problem is instead a headlight mod because of the malformed beam pattern and bluer tinted light. It makes more sense to focus on trying to see the road after they've blinded me.

For the record I have excellent night vision, almost cat-like. I can just about drive with no headlights on at all yet the irony is I've even had people (trying to defend their illegal lights) state that maybe my eyes are bad when I'm not the one who needs upgraded headlights just to drive at night. What I usually say to those people is if you can't drive at night without illegal headlight mods then either slow down or don't drive at night.

I fitted led headlights to my sport trac, every on comming car flashed me. They are very bright but no distance, the light gets diffused too much. This was from Amazon and was indicated correct for ST. This is BS! The reflector in ST is an odd shape and led headlights don't work as expected. I'm thinking of getting hid bulbs which are more like the original halogen(which are truly dim).

Thank you

+1 for not flashing people with altered headlights because there's no point and I really don't like it.

^ Yeah, calculated risks, involve risk. It's a matter of how they're used.

Back