• Register Today It's free!

Convertor lock up or 4th gear

deweyville65

Reaction score
City, State
Dewey,Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EXPLORER XLT
96 Ex 4.0 OHV Auto, Control Track.Can anyone tell me if the torque convertor locks up in 3rd or 4th gear? Mine feels to me like it locks in 3rd gear. Seems like about a 300RPM drop on the next to last shift/lockup. 500RPM drop on the last shift. I just do not have a stretch of road around here to safely go play around checking it, unless at 0200 in the morning. And then I'm asleep. Thanks for any information. It is not affecting the drive ability, just curious.

If you have the 5R55E - You have a 5 speed auto. It will lock in 4th as well as 5th.

96 Ex 4.0 OHV Auto, Control Track.Can anyone tell me if the torque convertor locks up in 3rd or 4th gear? Mine feels to me like it locks in 3rd gear. Seems like about a 300RPM drop on the next to last shift/lockup. 500RPM drop on the last shift. I just do not have a stretch of road around here to safely go play around checking it, unless at 0200 in the morning. And then I'm asleep. Thanks for any information. It is not affecting the drive ability, just curious.

I have a 3rd. gen, '04, it will ONLY lock torque converter clutch after achieving 5th. gear (overdrive gear). However, others have said the 2nd. gens, like yours, are programmed to lock TCC in 3rd and 4th (overdrive) gears.

If you want to find out for sure: First, BE AWARE that if TCC is engaged, (locked), SLIGHT increase in throttle will not show up as rpm increase on tach. Whenever TCC is NOT engaged, slight increase in gas pedal will IMMEDIATELY cause a visible jump in rpms. Use that fact to test for TCC being locked or not.

You can only do this where no traffic exists, and plenty of room. Use minimum throttle to bring vehicle up to 3rd. gear, watch the tach, 2 drops means 3rd. gear. Don't increase vehicle speed to a point where 4th. gear is achieved. By now, you likely have a gut feel for when this happens. Let it run in 3rd. as far as possible, maybe 1/4 mile, watching if tach drops to indicate TCC lockup. If it drops, use the SLIGHT INCREASE rule above to see if rpms do NOT increase. If they don't yer in TCC lockup. If they do, yer likely in 4th. gear. imp

Thanks imp. I really feels like it locks in 3rd. You have reenforced my thinking. Especially with the bigger RPM drop on the last shift.

Back