Convince me to buy an Explorer over a Jeep | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Convince me to buy an Explorer over a Jeep

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
Soon something w/V8
Personally I like the Jeep Grand Cherokee's better as far as looks are concerned but the Explorers are still nice. Specifically I've looked at a 1997 Explorer XLT w/V8 AWD, gray leather, sunroof. The Jeep GC Limited is 1997 w/V8 quadra-trac gray leather interior, sunroof. Basically the both have the same options, same milage(100,000 each) and are in basically the same condition. I do know the transfer case can cause problems with the Jeep especially if different size tires were used in the past. I'm assuming the Explorer with its AWD system is similiar to the Jeep in that it uses a VC between the front and rear. The Jeep does cost $1000 more but will also have better resale later. If I did need to perform any repairs the cost will only be with parts. I'll do the labor myself.

Anyway, I know you guys(and gals) are going to lean toward the Ford and thats fine but tell me what you think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just purchased a 97 V8 AWD Mountaineer (Same as X) with the same options at 106,000 mi and have had nothing but positive experiance so far. the drivetrain is VERY solid - the 5.0 V8 block is of mustang heritage, but the heads and FI system are state of the art. the Transmission is very solid, and the AWD system is all mechanical (uses a VC) and appears to also be reliable.

The Xs are very easy to work on, and very easy to mod. A 2" lift can be done for $60, and many people on this board are running large tires with no problems whatsoever.

What he said. :D

I couldn't be happier with my X if I tried!

Besides, if you by the jeep, then everyone will point and laugh.:p keep in mind that the jeep has no frame, not as strong in that area.

If you like the looks of the j**p than you should buy one. If you dont you will always wonder as you pass them in the ditch if you made the right decision buying an X.

Explorer's are great trucks. I've had 2 and they have bothe been great.

Now go over to JU and ask them to convince you to get a Jeep over an X. I would guess about 12 curse words in the first 8 replies. Then ask yourself, "what kinda ppl do I want to be associated with?"

Robb

Buy the J##p..... so that way you can admire the classic Blue Oval on the back of what's pulling you back home off the trail...

In all seriousness, I had a Jeep Cherokee before I bought my Ex. I wouldn't take that thing back for anything. Was not pleased with the tranny at all, I can't even start to count all the times I had to redo the brakes[much more than on the Ex], crappy factory CD player, more cargo space in my Ex and all around I'm more comfortable working on the Ford engine than a Chrysler.

Because J@@P'S SUCK!!!

Did that convence you? No?

Oh, Explorer's are very good, durable trucks. They can take a lot of crap. I have pulled out my fair share of jeeps.:D

Do a search under this board under "crash" or "accident." See all of the stuff that the X has been through, and how the people in the crashes have walked away from them. The X is one of the safest SUVs on the market. I personally know someone who rolled his x twice, and walked away from the accident. Let us know what you decide.

My dad has a 98 Jeep grand cherokee with the V8 (5.2) and it was fun at first, but now it is noisy - you can't have a converstation at 70mph without raising your voice, my X is still quiet.
As far as cost goes there have been no big problems with either but I know my dad will not get another jeep because he can't use his cellphone while driving on the highway.

Tell me that's not a real question.....

I have had nothing but great things to say about my Explorer and all my experiences with it. the two times I have driven a friend's jeep, there has been serious unexpected mechanical failure. What are the odds of that!?!?! OK, what are the odds in any other vehicle?!?!

On a serious note, here's a true story about a recent experience of mine.

Good luck!

Karl

Well, as a former Explorer owner (1992 XLT) and a current Grand Cherokee owner (1998 5.9 Limited), I'll just say that you gotta go with whatever one you think you will be the most happy with for however long you will keep it. Looking at the Jeeps though, make sure you check the diffs, especially the rear one. The aluminum Dana 44 is not the strongest thing in the world, and the V8 GCs are known to eat them. You're also on the right track about making sure the VC is in good shape too. The trans is not the greatest, but then again the Explorers have had their fair share of problems there as well. I gotta tell you though, if I had to take a guess on which one would give you the most trouble free experience above and beyond 100K, I'd have to go with the V8 Explorer. My 92 had 156K on it when I sold it and it ran just as good as the day it was new. Of course, it all depends on how they were maintained, but that 302 is bulletproof. And of course, this place is 1000X better than the JU. :D

Mike

Thanks for all the replies. I knew you guys were going to favor the Explorer but thats ok. I'm also on JU but haven't posted the question yet. I'm sure their replies will be the same as yours but siding on the Jeep and how they see Explorers in ditch's all the time but thats to be expected.

I'm not planning on lifting or modifying what i get in any way. This will be a daily driver for me and I want it to be comfortable. I will do very little off roading if any and if I do it will be a simple dirt/gravel road thru a national forest somewhere. My racecar is my play thing and it gets all the attention(when my wife and child aren't around).

I'll probably purchase something this weekend so keep the feedback coming especally the mechanical aspects of what makes the Explorer a better choice.

Its snowing today

And I backed my Explorer out so I could drive my 89 Jeep Cherokee. This has a clunko part time 4WD that you don't want to get anywhere near dry pavement. But, this thing will go anywhere whith its cheapo $39 tires. The way the 4WD works, the braking is exceptional on hills. For a bonus, if anything happens I can just pull the plates and leave it on the side of the road!

Like everyone elso has stated...Doing mods to the EX is fairly cheap and it's easy to work on. Also having 15,000 Explorer members helping you out is way better than any of the j**p boards I've seen. Plus, like stated earlier, they all seem to have total hate to Ex owners. Also from speaking to a J**p owner/friend, the #1 mod j**p owners do is swap our their rear axle with the Ex' 8.8 rear. The size difference is amazing.

Also, he made a mod for his 4wd to be a part time unit instead of the full time quadra-trac. It didn't sound very good. I will say that the straight axle on the j**p is far better than the TTB and IFS on the Ex. All in all, go with what appeals to you the most.

I was looking at getting a j**p before I got my Ex but I saved $3000 by geting the Ex of the same year! I'm happy with my EX!!

Happy hunting!

I don't plan on modifying anything I end up with. Just good functioning of the stock system and reliability. Some of the hardcore Jeep guys do swap and mod the front/rear differentials but I'm not planning on that type of abuse that might require that.

The transfer cases can be swapped out to get the select-trac type of case but thats not really for me. I like the idea of AWD all the time, especially if my wife is going to be driving it in rainy or generally bad weather.

There is definetly money to be saved by buying an Explorer of the same year and options but on the reverse side of that is the resale value later, or lack of resale value. I'll make my mind up this weekend or next weekend at the latest.

I would take the V8 Explorer. The 5.0L is a bulletproof engine, probably the best American V8 ever in terms of reliability. The powertrain in the X will holdup longer than the Jeep.

If a reliable daily driver is what you seek go with the V8 X.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I welded the hood closed on my '96 V8. I only put gas in it! Seriously though, I had over 100,000 trouble free miles on my Explorer. The ONLY thing that went out was a coil pack ($50). It never saw a shop (okay, one body shop... oops) and at 136k it was running as good as it was the day I bought it. :D

Back