Coolant dripping from under passenger seat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant dripping from under passenger seat

drdoug

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT. Stock.
I put in a new radiator yesterday. No drips from front end but there is a drip or leak from underneath passenger seat. It’s very faint but you can see where the snow is stained green. What is doing there ? Do coolant lines run that far back ? Thanks.

D1673E26-EF35-4771-8AB9-61D3362796F7.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My buddy said it might be a heater core leak.

To me that looks like a rust stain from your catalytic converter melting the snow.:dunno:

Coolant that spilled when replacing radiator and puddled on frame parts/ shroud....then when you drove on freeway/higher speeds it sprayed back there...?

The closest thing to that spot would be your heater core and heater control valve(if you have one) and associated hoses.

Ok I think I figureed it out. I got the trukc washed after the thermostat replacement. I believe it may have been the soap which is that green color. The other thing that occurred to me- and I might be wrong- is that if it was coolant it wouldn't have been suspended / frozen in the ice. Maybe.

So Im having the 4x4 serviced because it acts weird and Ill have that shop look things over. Thanks and have a great weekend.

@drdoug,

Just saying - A couple of things you can do on your own before you go to a shop...

1) The heater valve is on the passenger side (same side the green colored snow in your picture).

It's notorious for leaking, and then spreading the coolant to strange locations - due to the coolant flowing on the bottom of the heater hoses and eventually dripping down far from where the leak started...

Suggest that you not only visually checked the heater valve for coolant & as well as crusted coolant, but also wrap your hand around it and see it it's wet.

2) You can also check the heater hose connections on the firewall, where the hoses meet up & connect with the heater core.

3) Also, make a reference line on your overflow tank and watch the level.

Without a reference line, it's really hard to follow the "progress" of a small leak...

Hope that helps -

Back