• Register Today It's free!

Coolant flushing

747driver

Reaction score
City, State
downers grove,il
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 mountaineer
I am going to flush my coolant system on 03 4.6 mounty. I will replace all hoses and replace thermostat as well, as I haven't done this since I bought it in 05. I plan on using the backflush method by hooking up a garden hose. Will pour in Peak clean and flush additive. I have done this a few times on my 86 F-150, just wondered if there is anything special I should know about on my Mountaineer ??

Thanks

Chuck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did a drain and fill on my mounty, since I didn't remove the hose or thermostat there we re no issues bleeding air from it (which could cause overheating if not done properly)

Use Zerex (only in NAPA), I used Peak on mine at first and realized that it's silicate free.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer

Even if you do everything right, it will take awhile for the heater core to get totally sorted out and get you heat. Is there a reason you are replacing all of the hoses already?

i'd probably would do a drain and fill with the engine stone cooled. With my '04 its an all Aluminum block i'd be apprehensive with cold water hitting that hot block. unless the hoses look shot, or leak, i'd keep them. I have 16yrs and 180k on another truck, oem hoses, no leaks so far.

I guess my old way of thinking is that these are OEM. Which makes them 9 yrs. and 158,000 miles. What you are saying is todays hoses last a long time ?

I have always spliced a water hose fitting into the return line on my other vehicles. That way you have constant water flow all the time. I use the Prestone flush kit.

I just flushed my 91 out with the Prestone stuff, it really got a lot of crap and buildup out. I didn't leave it for the recommended amount of time, but it did the trick. I'm about to drive across the country so I checked the hoses and replaced only one. I used Havolin Coolant at 65/35 mix.

Back