Coolant issues in 2010 EB V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant issues in 2010 EB V6

muneeb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010- explorer Eddie Baue
Hi guys,
I am posting this thread from Saudi Arabia. I have American used 2010 EB truck. I have an issue with Radiator coolant. When i drive the car for a reasonable time, i just open the hood and check the coolant reservoir and i find that its level is little high than "FULL COLD" level. normally coolant should be at around "FULL HOT" level as the engine is at optimal temperature. Then at the weekend, when i wash my car, i check the reservoir and i notice that when the car is not started for 1 day( or completely cool) the coolant level in reservoir is less than "full cold" level and at this point i have to add the coolant upto "full cold" level. This cycle repeats and in a month i almost have to add 1 to 1.2 or 1.3 liter of coolant in reservoir. i changed the radiator cap and i have manually inspected all the hoses (specially rear A/c) hoses for leak but do not find even a drop of green(i have green Antifreeze) coolant.
Any idea about it? or it is normal and i shall continue like this?
I am getting crazy about it. please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome Muneeb to this forum.
I think according to the temperature at KSA, it is normally to have a decreased coolant level from time to time due to evaporation, also the reservoir is not completely closed.
furthermore, air in the radiator may lead to decrease in coolant level.
what about the temperature gauge, do you have any overheat.

by the way do you have any transmission problems or hard downshift???

Radiator leaks are common on the Explorer, it is possible you may have a very small leak somewhere in the cooling system if you need to add a little bit of coolant every few weeks or so. To determine for sure, you would need to pressure test the radiator. This will allow you to apply pressure to the radiator while the vehicle is off and you can inspect the cooling system for leaks.

Welcome Muneeb to this forum.
I think according to the temperature at KSA, it is normally to have a decreased coolant level from time to time due to evaporation, also the reservoir is not completely closed.
furthermore, air in the radiator may lead to decrease in coolant level.
what about the temperature gauge, do you have any overheat.

by the way do you have any transmission problems or hard downshift???

Thanx dear,

No, i dont have any transmission problem. Even the temprature gauge remains steady at half with no overheating. What i am afraid that if i forget to refill the reservoir,then i believe i will be in disaster.
I feel that when the car runs for enough good time, its reservoir should be filled to "full hot" level, which it does not exactly. but as i said after a week, when i check the level in reservoir while the engine is cool, the water level remains less than "full cold" and that is point where i top up the coolant.
Any ideas?

Radiator leaks are common on the Explorer, it is possible you may have a very small leak somewhere in the cooling system if you need to add a little bit of coolant every few weeks or so. To determine for sure, you would need to pressure test the radiator. This will allow you to apply pressure to the radiator while the vehicle is off and you can inspect the cooling system for leaks.

Thanks for your reply.
Can u guide me where i can get this done? and what is the procedure. the engine has to be cool before this procedure?

Thanx

You might be able to purchase a radiator pressure test kit locally, maybe at a auto parts store or tool store. They come with a pressure gauge, manual pump, and some adapters for the radiator. To do the test, start with a cold engine, remove the radiator cap and install the tester onto the radiator. The radiator cap shows how much pressure should be applied as it differs on each vehicle, I think for the Explorer it is 20psi, but the cap will show precisely. Apply pressure to the radiator, not exceeding the amount on the cap, and look for coolant dripping around the radiator and rest of cooling system.

If you cannot find a test kit in your area, another option might be to add some UV leak dye to the coolant reservoir. Run the vehicle with dye until the coolant level drops. The dye will circulate throughout the cooling system and will leave evidence where the leak is. To find the leak, use a UV light and look around the cooling system for florescent dye, this will indicate where the coolant is leaking from.

Back