Coolant leak coming from under fan/blower motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak coming from under fan/blower motor

Excalibur07

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer V-8
Hi there. As the title suggests, I am experiencing a coolant leak on my 1999 Explorer (5.0 V8). The leak seems to be coming from underneath the fan motor. I checked the lines and the valve going into the heater core and they are bone dry. I am wondering if somehow the heater core is leaking and the leak is getting into the heater fan assembly and leaking out the bottom. Not sure how this would work as the core is in the dash and the fan is in the engine compartment of course. The heat and air conditioning still work perfectly...Has anyone experienced this? I'm hoping it's not the heater core as that looks like a big job (taking out the dash etc...) - but anyway, any suggestions as to what this might be would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the heater core is leaking, it could be getting into the A/C drip tray and coming out thru the condensate line (under the truck about where the dash ends). Are you sure you are seeing coolant and not condensate water?

it probably is something else. if you had a heater core leak, your windows would fog up, and you would have a sweet smell inside

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's definetly coolant. I ran my fingers through a small spot on the road and it is green fluid. I thought that if the heater core was leaking that it would show up somewhere else (like inside the dashboard or leaking on to the carpet....I think I may go as far as taking of the blower motor to see if I can see the coolant and perhaps trace it back....

I don't have any fogging problems etc... but it is definetly coolant per my earlier note above....I was hoping it would just be a split hose going into the heater core but I inspected these are they are fine. I will post here again after I take the blower motor off....

Back