Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
The other week I installed this new 3-row radiator, and now I notice coolant leaks especially on the shroud base.

The hoses/clamps including overflow tube all seem good.
Where could it be from? Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Who did the install? Was the rad damaged at all durning installation?

I would take that sucker back in about two seconds.
All new Rad.'s should be tested at the factory.

First take both hoses off the rad. inspect them closely.
Check the clamps make sure they are in good shape, make sure the drain **** is closed securely, then also check or replace the radiator cap.......

If all checks out return that rad.....

I would have thought it would have been pressure tested at the factory, too. Would it take a few weeks to cure up and seal? It shouldn't.

I did the install. I was extra careful with that radiator, I didn't damage it or hit it on anything. I had it laying on a padded chair and the fins never touched anything. I did not twist it or torque it.

I am still using the old radiator cap. But I can't see that it's leaking out the cap; the cap seems to seal and the overflow is working properly. Is it still possible the cap is to blame?

If it's a radiator with plastic tanks on it, check the edge crimping. There is a rubber gasket between the plastic tanks and the cooling fins. We had several radiators that had incomplete crimps. Just used a pair of channel locks to squeeze the crimps all the way down like they should have been. The units pass the factory pressure test (applied air), but leak when heat is applied thru normal use.

It should have been crimped adequately at the factory. That is not something that I should have to do. I paid $250 for the factory to build it right.

I got it from Ford Parts Network. (Torrie McPhail). Once I get back from my trip, I will probably pull it and return it, even though it is my daily driver and I'll be out a vehicle for a week probably. They had better get me a new radiator, too. Has anyone had any experience exchanging an item with FPN?

Back