coolant leak, help identify | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

coolant leak, help identify

sritter

Reaction score
I just noticed a large puddle of coolant under my 2002 explorer in the garage. Can anyone help identify this part which appears to be the source of the leak.
(lost photos)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks to be an AC related component. Is it coming from here?
(lost photo)

The thing in the center of the photos is the receiver-dryer, but I don't think that is where the leak is coming from. I bet it is the water control valve that is just above the receiver-dryer in the first photo. They are notorious for leaking on 2nd Gens. I pointed to it with the red arrow.

100_0559.JPG

That looks like it could be exactly where it is coming from. I was only looking up from underneath though. I'll check that out.

That looks like it could be exactly where it is coming from. I was only looking up from underneath though. I'll check that out.

When mine was leaking, it would only leak when the engine was warm because the system has pressure. If you fill the system and then warm up the engine you should be able to see if its leaking.

Well guys I figured I'd post back. That wasn't coolant it was green dyed oil (I thought it felt awfully thick) and it was actually the accumulator (receiver/dryer) that was leaking.

Thanks for posting back. I know they add dye to help find AC leaks, but I didn't know it looked like coolant.

yep, Had that done on my car. They add some green stuff to the oil and P/s fluid and use a black light and they find the leak easier.

Back