• Register Today It's free!

Coolant Leak under load

OFC4630

Reaction score
City, State
MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
two days ago I noticed I was low on coolant. My coolant bottle was almost completely empty. I filled the bottle and forgot about it. Today I noticed a coolant smell while I was driving. I checked the coolant bottle and it was empty again. I couldn't find the leak. Nothing was wet. All the hoses are new and the clamps are tight. I checked the engine while it was under load and I found coolant was dripping out continuously. The drip is on the passenger side on the front of the block. I could see any coolant dripping from the front. Can someone tell me what this could be?

071d9703-ecf1-4ad2-bc62-7ffe02b57ad2.jpg

dd46d60b-f588-4d66-8819-e8f536dd8a31.jpg

It's hard to tell where it's dripping from the pictures the way to test is with a pressure testing kit it hooks up where the radiator cap is and pressures the system with air. once it is pressurized look for the drips and follow them to the source.

Here is a video from Ericthecarguy that shows how to pressure check the cooling system
http://youtu.be/K5p-G3UDi-A

Looks like water pump or maybe spraying back from the valve mounted in the hose right there. That little heater valve thing is a piece of crap. If you find it to be water pump or something else I highly suggest inspecting that little valve anyway. It'll seep for a while then blow apart when you least expect it.

Back