• Register Today It's free!

Coolant Leak - Water pump?

floydtheduck

Reaction score
City, State
Daytona Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.0L Flex F
I posted this in the new member thread, as well. Sorry for the double post... didn't realize this was the more appropriate area until now.

***This can probably be deleted as the question has been answered in the thread listed one line break below this***

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376648

Here's the post, verbatum:

Hi all, I'm new here. I've never really thought about going online to look for help with fixing things other than using google. I own a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0L Flex Fuel 4x4

If anyone could give me some help with my issue(s), it'd be extremely appreciated. I try to do as much work myself as I can to save money due to the fact I've tried 4 different mechanics in the area and they all charge an arm and a leg and say "not sure what the issue is, but it'll be another 2 hours for a full diagnostic"

I know the basics of engines (alternators, spark plugs, battery, etc.) but when it comes to water pumps, thermostats, a/c, etc. I get lost. So, on to the problem:

Problem:About a year ago my A/C would not work. My heat did, but the A/C did not. As soon as it got to the 'middle' of the cold/hot, it would not go any colder (or, less warm). I took it to a shop, they said they'd have to take out the whole dash and it would be a few hundred $ to diagnose. I said "it's fine, I'll deal with it for now"... then it randomly started working.

About a month ago, my heater quit working. My A/C works fine. And the heat works on the 'right' side of the channels (meaning, it works on feet and defrost, but not on feet/face, or face). Around this same time, I smelt coolant one day when I got out of the car. It was at my girlfriends house with an ocean breeze and the neighbor was working on his car. I looked under my truck for a leak and saw nothing, as well as checked my coolant level and it looked fine, so I assumed it was the wind catching the neighbors coolant aroma and blowing it my way.

2 weeks ago I was driving down the highway, my check gauge light came on, I looked down and I saw my thermostat needle go from the middle to the H in about a second. I pulled over immediately and shut off the engine, opened the hood and saw coolant all over the place (with all the smoke to go with it). My reservoir was dry. Being late at night, I had it towed back home so I could look in the morning.

I found that it would leak a little (drip.... drip... drip...) when cool, but when running at full temp (normal op range) it would almost stream (dripdripdripdripdrip). I tried tracing the leak but couldn't find it. A friend suggested running a bottle of Stop Leak thru it. I did that (it said it worked for up to 12 Q, but I have 16.7, but I didn't see that til we were back at the house, so I tried it anyway with the full bottle). The leak slowed to a drip.......drip......drip only when it is at full temp. I believe I found where the leak is coming from, now, but I'm not sure what it is. I tried finding a diagram online to no avail.

There is a large hose running from my radiator to the top of this item. It has electrical running to it, as well. The leak is coming out the side of it where there appears to be a seal... My assumption (and me knowing only basics about vehicles) is maybe a water pump gasket? I'm assuming a water pump is what pumps water/coolant thru your engine, and there is a gasket to keep the seal from leaking... is that a correct assumption?

I took a few pictures and posted to photobucket for viewing here:
http://s77.beta.photobucket.com/user/FloydTheDuck/library/2003 Explorer Coolant Leak

Again, any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Floyd

You should be looking at the thermostat housing. I can't tell exactly from your pics, but I believe these are prone to failure. Look it up on here. I remember reading a couple different threads about it.

Back