• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak

Runesai

Reaction score
City, State
Taber, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XL OHV
I've got an odd coolant leak. My '99 Ex 4.0L OHV, is leaking at the rear of the engine, I'm having a problem pin pointing the leak. I can see it steaming behind and below the coil pack. Is there any heating lines behind the engine I should be checking, or likely seal. There's no signs of coolant in the oil. I'm hoping it's not a core plug but it wouldn't be steaming would it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have the exact same problem. It is steaming just underneath of the coil pack in the rear of the engine.

I bet it is the heater control valve. The valve is nest to the blower motor box. When leaking it will drip down, including dripping on the transmission dipstick. It is inexpensive. :)

We found the leak. It was the lower intake gasket. It appears that the previous owner used some bars stop leak (or equiv) and when I used the coolant flush it cleaned out some of it and started the leak. The front and back of the gasket showed where the stop leak was built up.
Thanks for everyone's help.

just finished doing the lower gasket replacement today. the rubber egde of the gasket was completely rotten. I dont know how it didnt leak sooner. Hopefully the new gasket will help the motor last another 15 years.lol

Back