• Register Today It's free!

Coolant Leak

spabula

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT AWD 5.0L
I have coolant leaking... it is not coming from a hose nor the pump. This is in a 4.0.. its leaking on the drivers side up towards the front. Is it possible for the head gasket to leak to the outside and not the inside??? i couldnt see any freeze plugs in that location. Does anyone know if there are and i am just missing it??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a few things on the "driver's side" and "towards the front" that could leak - including the lines going to/from the heater core. But obviously, there's only one way to nail down whats going on so pop the hood and have a look.

It is not coming from any lines or hoses.. it looks to be coming from the side of the engine block/head area. it is located up near the water pump is but it is on the side, not the front. The leak cant be seen unlease laying under the truck. I tried to take some pics but they dont show the spot because there are things in the way to show the spot....

I forgot to mention.... It is a fairly large leak. once warmed up the puddle gets pretty large pretty quick.

I am having the same problem with the leak. I replaced the water pump. It is still leaking!!! I need help.

Yeah... me too...... replaced the pump. But it doesnt appear to be coming from there. it looks to be around on the drivers side of the block/heads from where the pump is.. i cant figure it out. i have never heard of a blown head gasket leaking to the outside but i guess anything is possible. I think i might try some of that liquid head gasket repair stuff like Blue Devil. Its worth a shot i guess..........

Unfortunately I was told it might be my intake gaskets. I take the radiator cap off and it leaks sitting still. I drive it and I slowly lose water. I cant afford to fix "might be" I have to know whats wrong but labor at the shops is ridiculous..

You can always do the stop leak treatment. I used the stuff with copper in it and it worked well to fix my intake gasket leak and it only cost $8.

how long have you driven it like that? I was always under the impression that those were onlt temporary fixes.

I did this several months ago and commented on my experience in the product review forum. It has held fine for me for about 2000 miles without leaks. My attitude about this stuff is that it is at least worth a try in order to avoid or delay an expensive and/or time consuming repair. A lot of people would tell that it can cause other problems like a blocked heater core but that was not my experience. Use at your own risk.

It might be the thermostat housing that is actually leaking.That's what is wrong with mine at the moment.O'Reilly's has the bottom for about 65 and the top for about 45.The pic they show looks like the right part but not for sure.

I have kinda the same problem with my 94 X. My leak is small but its also on the drivers side front tf the engine. Im confused because it dosent look like a head gasket of a freeze plug and i cant tell if its the intake gasket. It dosent leak alot but its enuf to worry about when i get under the truck and see green. Im takein my truck from MI to CO this winter and would love to get some help on what it may be so i have no worries on the trip.

Also this leak didnt come around untill after i had replaced the rad/ cap...?

I'm having the same problem with my 07 6 banger, I'ts not a fast leak - maybe two cups a week. Hot or Cold doesn't make any difference. Always at the front drivers side under the radiator, but doesn't really look like my radiators leaking, making me crazy too! I was about to have it checked by a shop - Scaarrry!

I had this EXACT problem, and I would see the engine block wet, and a puddle under the truck on the drivers side, front of the engine, drove me insane trying to find it.

Make sure that you check the the lower hose when it's cold. I found a leak on mine that was impossible to track down because, when the truck was running, all the metals, etc... were warmed up and expanded, but as they cooled, the leak would show up and it would mist/spray out.

What it was for me, was the lower hose, where it is attached to the WP, would leak as the engine cooled, and on cold starts, would push out some coolant as well.

It is because the cheap HOSE CLAMP had become just a little too loose due to the expansion and contraction over time, that it was allowing the coolant to seep past and leak out. I changed the clamp to a new, more beefy one, and tightened the hell out of it... leak gone.

the top hose started to do the same thing at the water outlet, so I again, swapped out the hose clamp for a newer, beefier one and the leaks are gone.

I had a problem with mine with the front gasket on the motor. prestone makes this stuff called stopleak i think it is. it sealed mine up and it was leaking pretty bad.

i have a 1997 ford explorer limited 4wd 4.0ohv v-6 i have a radiator leak towards the front"
engine i think i see wet by the sway bar link i think it is by back of the timing cover or lower back of the timing cover

You guys know they make leak detector UV dye, for coolant, just like the neon green stuff for the a/c. I know Autozone sells it. If you routinely work on cars/trucks, your better off buying it at the commercial counter, in a bigger bottle.

Clean the external "wet spots" as much as possible, add the dye to the colling systems, and start it up. With a U/V light, you should be able to see exactly where it's coming from. Even w/o the u/v light, the dye is still pretty hard to miss.

i had that problem with my 92 and it was the intake gasket,took about 2 hrs to do myself cause i did it on my previous 92 explorer also so i knew exactly how to do it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just fixed a similar problem. It ended up being the o-ring at the bottom of the thermostat housing. The water can pool on top of the block under the intake manifold and then run down the side. These housings are notorious for deteriorating and leaking. I replaced the entire assembly for $145.00.

Back