• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak.

daleneg

Reaction score
City, State
coventry, ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ranger
:( have a really wierd coolant leak. Had to remove the a/c compessor and power steering pump to find that the coolant is coming from under the lower intake manifold. I'm thinking that the maifold gasket is gone? Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it ia a 4.0 and the link you suggested is of some help. I haven't gone into an engine this deep in years but can't afford to send it to the shop as my wife's car is already there.

Try Bars Leak, or K&W block sealer for a temporary fix. I bought my 96 4.0 OHV in February, and it was getting water in one cylinder and leaking from under the manifold. The hot antifreeze smell was very apparant. I put Bars Leak in it, and have not had any more water in the cylinder since. On a recent trip from NE to AZ and back, it did develop a small water leak, more of a seep, from under the right head. I have not had to add any coolant yet. This is just a temporary repair until I can get new gaskets. But, it is advertised that the manufacturers add K&W when new.

...Although you didn't mention what size engine, I'm going to guess a 4.0L..You might find some useful info in this thread and the link to other threads it has in it..:dunno:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276548
Thank you for the information. Alot of good tips and makes me feel a lot better about tackeling this problem. I have been having a problem with the upper manafold gasket for quite some time so now is a good time to fix that also. Going to take my time and do it right.

Back