Coolant Leak

BradH

Reaction score
City, State
Belle Chasse, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac
2001 ST 4x2, 190,000 miles.

I recently noticed that I am leaking Coolant, problem is, I cannot find where the coolant is going!

I checked the oil, all is good there.

I put about a half gallon a day in it. I only drive about 30-40 mins to work (16.5 miles) and back on most days.

I have seen the myriad of posts about the leaky thermostat housing and plan to look at it a little closer.

Most posts referring to the leaky thermostat mention spraying fluid, do you think that since I don't see any spray?

Problem I am having, is I am not getting any pools of fluid on the ground when I am parked....except for a couple small oil drops......so where is the fluid going?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

more details please!
is the vehicle white smoking while driving?
are you running the heater?
i would say if your not seeing any fluids on the ground. check the passenger floorboard for wet carpet, could be the heater core.
if its white smoking, you could have a head issue and its burning it through the exhaust...
max

Thanks for the quick responses. I will definitely check out the passenger floorboards and the cover and check for leaks.

I do not have any white smoke, and since I am in New Orleans, I don't use the heat very often....the Defrost in mornings, and it works fine.....

a few of us have also have the mystery where the coolant tank was bone dry with no explanation, we filled it and then never had the problem again.

strange machines these are

2001 ST 4x2, 190,000 miles.

I put about a half gallon a day in it. I only drive about 30-40 mins to work (16.5 miles) and back on most days.

i saw that,I was just offering more of a commentary than anything, dont mind my ramblings, im like that crazy old uncle we all have

water pump maybe ?

Fill it and keep an eye on it. Mine did that this weekend and now its fine again...

I speak the truth...

Before winter I put filled mine to the cool fill line in the tank and last weekend it was bone dry empty. I filled it back up and have been keeping an eye on it and its been fine. I always look for leaks when before I get in my truck and havent seen any residue from anything under it... and Im not burning white and my oil was fine when I changed it... the **** just kinda vanished haha. Idk... but so far its been fine

interscope- I'm not disputing what you said, I wish it happened more often.
The OP refills a half gallon daily. His ST obviously has a major leak. Cheers.

Oh! I misread it the first time and just read that he put in a half gallon. Mah bad

Well, she really went bonkers and dumped the whole system and overheated on me in just over 20 miles. Now that you guys pointed me in the right direction to look, it was obvious it is the Thermostat housing.

Guess what I called in sick today to do? Wish me luck!

Ok, so I got this taken out, it was definitely the problem...

But check this out, just behind where this was, it looks like some sort of bag, or maybe it was a sponge or something....and it looks to be full of fluid.

http://chasefb.com/misc/IMG_0258.JPG

http://chasefb.com/misc/IMG_0259.JPG

I need to know whether to yank this out or leave it....I'm thinking take it out....

At least you found the leak, hope the overheating wasn't too severe.
Most people remove the sound (noise) insulation bag, don't think it helps.
Do you have two coolant temp sensors, and are they both connected?

Well, got this done...Took me about 4.5 hours, that includes the 30-40 min trip to Ford to get the parts, and lunch...and a couple breaks to look at Ben's How to slide....

Ford didn't have the separate parts, they had the whole assembly, including both sensors and thermostat, already put together. I had to take the thermostat cover and thermostat off though in order to get it in.

It cost $399!! That was a shock, especially since I was hoping to save a few dollars and only get the lower housing.....

I gotta say, the hardest part for me was the hoses....I hate those squeeze clamps...they are a biatch!!

I took it for a test run, all seems well, going to really test it in a few, have a 30 mile trip to Umpire tonight....need the cash now!!

If Ben Grosser frequents this board...hey Man, you rock!! Thanks for the step by step....

Oh, and that Noise bag, or whatever it is....I left it be....I hope it didn't soak up much antifreeze and keep my truck smelling forever!! I still don't understand what that thing does?? I take it that it comes filled with some sort of fluid? I did a google search and couldn't find anything on it.

Thanks All!!

Brad

Great that you got the job done but... $400, ouch!
Easier if you use bent needle nose pliers on the factory spring clamps.
Don't worry about the "noise bag", you made some mice a happy home.
Kidding! LOL

Mine turned out to be the water pump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome that you umpire. It really is one of the most enjoyable ways to make decent money fast. I didn't have time to do it last year and really missed it.

Back on topic, it's good that you got the problem fixed. :thumbsup:

Back