Coolant leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak

jtre

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I just noticed what appears to be a coolant leak...yellow fluid that is dripping down the drivers side exhaust pipe and is sticking to some snow on it (right by the o2 sensor) any ideas to what component may be leaking? (thinking maybe the water pump?)...the level isn't insanely low, still full in the reservoir and maybe 1" down from the top on the rad cap neck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well that's a new form of yellow snow cone! :eek: you're going to have to get under the vehicle and trace the fluid leak trail. My money is on radiator, but could be water pump, or t-stat housing, or a hose. If you still cant find it go to o'riellys/autozone and borrow a radiator pressure test cap adapter. This lets you hand pump about 10 psi into the system and makes leaks more obvious - causes dripping and/or hissing from air leak.

Well that's a new form of yellow snow cone! :eek: you're going to have to get under the vehicle and trace the fluid leak trail. My money is on radiator, but could be water pump, or t-stat housing, or a hose. If you still cant find it go to o'riellys/autozone and borrow a radiator pressure test cap adapter. This lets you hand pump about 10 psi into the system and makes leaks more obvious - causes dripping and/or hissing from air leak.
not too suspicious of the radiator, replaced within the last few years by PO. Do they make specific UV dyes for coolant? Might make tracing this small leak easier

guess ill run it for a bit with the dye and then go to the pressure test, luckily my local advance rents it

actually, considering it is stuck to the exhaust pipe (a big yellow glob of snow is on the heat shield)...apparently some people notice similar issues in snow storms but dont have yellow coolant in the car (also noticed it where my buddy parked his car)..would cold antifreeze still smell like anti freeze? It didnt smell like anything.

I've lived in snow country (MN) most of my life and I have no idea what you're describing.
Are you describing frozen slush that has built up from driving on roads treated with chemicals?

I've lived in snow country (MN) most of my life and I have no idea what you're describing.
Are you describing frozen slush that has built up from driving on roads treated with chemicals?
http://yellowstainsonsnow.blogspot.com/

not sure how valid this is, but it seems a lot of people have similar issues, yet have no neon yellow fluids in their car

Either you have a low fluid condition or you don't. Coolant doesn't just disappear

http://yellowstainsonsnow.blogspot.com/

not sure how valid this is, but it seems a lot of people have similar issues, yet have no neon yellow fluids in their car

This is where I was heading with the frozen slush question. My guess was that it had something to do with effects of chemical-laden snow melting against rusty parts or mixing with oil leaked on engine block and dripping down.

Back