• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak

oklagp1200r

Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle,Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Exployer Sport Trac
2001 Ford explorer sport trac 4.0 V6 207,000 miles on engine all hoses have been replaced recently and has the aluminum thermostat housing which I just replaced the orings on the two sensors which were seeping a little. Got a cooling system pressure kit from autozone pressurized system to 16 lbs. Per radiator cap 3 hours later dropped to 15 lbs and not leaks found. Pumped back up to 16 lbs again 2 hours later now nighttime dropped to 15 lbs again used a 1000 lumen flashlight and headlamp still no leaks. Two days later weather changes drops into the low to mid 20's at night and found this. Truck was never driven since pressure tested either. Can't see where it's coming from but I suspect maybe water pump which is the original water pump!
Yes my coolant is yellowish in color!
Any ideas?

20181127_140514.jpg

You could try a bottle of K-Seal. Might work depending on where the leak is coming from. It won't hurt anything, however the SOHC 4.0L engine's commonly develop leaks from the plastic thermostat housing. This can be hard to see/prove, but it's a common failure point. You can replace the housing with a new Motorcraft plastic housing, but a better solution is to go with a metal replacement. Search the forum for "Austekk" for the least expensive metal housing. If you go the Austekk route, I suggest you contact them regarding the correct outlet for a Sport Trac as the outlet angle differs depending on the vehicle.

Ebay image below, around $50:
s-l1600.png

I think the O.P. mentioned that his engine has an aluminum T.Housing

Back