Coolant leaking around engine oil cooler | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leaking around engine oil cooler

shaneybob

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 AWD
My wife has a 96 XLT AWD with the 5.0L V8 as her daily driver. I checked the coolant several days ago (first time in a month or so) and there was nothing in the reservoir tank and the radiator was about half full. So I look around under the car and see nothing. It hasn't been leaving any coolant on the garage floor and has not been running hot according to the temp gauge, other than the gauge doing the slow dance between 1/4 and 1/2 way. So I topped the coolant off and drove it 10 miles or so over a couple of days with no leaks. We went out last night and this morning I see a nice 3 foot diameter wet spot under the car, but nothing really showing. Check the coolant and the radiator is full and the res. has dropped about 1/4 inch below the cool level. So I start it up for a minute or so and notice a nice dripping coming off the oil filter shroud. I looked as good as I can and don't see and leakage coming from the lower radiator hose or the water pump hose on the engine oil cooler connections. Doesn't mean it's not coming from a hose, but the filter is really in the way to see properly. I had just called the local Firestone Service Center last week about getting the radiator hoses, cap, and t-stat replaced as well as a flush ($300) because I'm not mechanically inclined, and the dealership is too expensive on most things. Well I could do the maintainence, but I'd end up messing something else up like aways, so I stay away from anything but oil changes and the like anymore:D

Is there instance of the the oil coolers leaking coolant often? I've searched this site and only found one other mention of the OEM ones at all. And I've seen they are entirely cost prohibitive to replace. If it is the cooler what would I need to do to remove it and go with a stock filter attachment? Just have a remote filter attachment put in and a different lower hose? I don't tow anything anymore and we are planning on selling it soon anyway.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, had the upper hose, lower hose, and the bypass hose replaced as well as the thermostat, a flush, and a new radiator cap. Drove it home, several miles of stop-and-go, and so far no more drips (we'll see in the morning), but the temp gauge still fluctuates with the opening of the t-stat. The one hose they didn't replace that I wanted was the short 4" piece between the oil cooler and water pump. Specifically told them to do this, but evidently they thought I was talking about the bypass hose. The shop service manager was trying to find out what exact piece needed to go there size-wise. He called up both Ford dealers in town right in front of me on speaker phone and their parts people didn't even know. Since it doesn't leak I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble as I only plan on keeping it for another month or so.

is this the hose your talking about?
22311.jpg

I found it on rockauto.com. Look up your parts there.
GATES Part # 22311 More Info {1 15/32" x 1 23/32" x 11 13/32" Does Not Contain Spring}
Rad. To Pipe-1
$6.86

He is needing the 4" long hose from water pump to oil cooler. (on v-8)

I actually made mine from a chunk of radiator hose--cut it to length when I had the same trouble as you. The oil cooler needs to be loosened a bit to replace it easily.

Took a shot...sorry

Look on rockauto. They show lots of hoses for your truck.

624-201.jpg

is this the hose your talking about?
22311.jpg

I found it on rockauto.com. Look up your parts there.
GATES Part # 22311 More Info {1 15/32" x 1 23/32" x 11 13/32" Does Not Contain Spring}
Rad. To Pipe-1
$6.86

I don't believe that's it. That looks like the lower hose from the radiator to the oil cooler. The hose I need is from the oil cooler to the water pump. It's about 3-4" long and fairly straight. Thanks though!!

Your welcome.

Good Luck.

He is needing the 4" long hose from water pump to oil cooler. (on v-8)

I actually made mine from a chunk of radiator hose--cut it to length when I had the same trouble as you. The oil cooler needs to be loosened a bit to replace it easily.

Any problems with the filter adapter leaking oil after loosening the oil cooler? I'm afraid they'll fix the hose and make the dang oil leak instead :D

I wish I still had a decent place to work on this myself, but alas, no dice!

Back