Coolant leaking from evaporator drain tube | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leaking from evaporator drain tube

scope02

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer EB 2wd
Hello guys, I had transmissions fluid in my radiator. I replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, and thermostat housing. This morning before starting it I check the coolant and it was low. I also noticed coolant dropping on the ground. Its dripping from the evaporator drain tube.

The AC doesn't have coolant right? Is it possible for the heater core to be leaking and draining from the evaporator drain?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello guys, I had transmissions fluid in my radiator. I replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, and thermostat housing. This morning before starting it I check the coolant and it was low. I also noticed coolant dropping on the ground. Its dripping from the evaporator drain tube.

The AC doesn't have coolant right? Is it possible for the heater core to be leaking and draining from the evaporator drain?

Welcome to the forum. You are correct, the AC system itself does not have any connection to the engine coolant. I assume that you are seeing coolant drip from the tube where AC condensation drips from when the AC is used? If that is it, then your heater core could definitely be leaking. I would suspect that you would also smell antifreeze inside the cabin, and that you would be getting a greasy film on your windows when you run the defroster.

You should rent/borrow a cooling system pressure tester from the auto parts store. This will tell you if you still have a leak somewhere in the coolant system.

Thanks Bobflood, your exactely right. It is the heater core leaking. I"ll replace it tomorrow and hopefully my problems are over. Thanks again for the help!

if u ever EVER taste sweet in the air in your cabin , stop now, its anti freeze,anti freeze kills your liver,, its not always heater core,, but it usually is, on my dodge the valve was inside my heater box and i bought a new heater core for a 64 dodge 3/4 ton truck, in rock springs wyoming,in the winter, u know how expensive that was, nothing wrong with core, but most of the time it will be a core

Welcome to the forum. You are correct, the AC system itself does not have any connection to the engine coolant. I assume that you are seeing coolant drip from the tube where AC condensation drips from when the AC is used? If that is it, then your heater core could definitely be leaking. I would suspect that you would also smell antifreeze inside the cabin, and that you would be getting a greasy film on your windows when you run the defroster.

You should rent/borrow a cooling system pressure tester from the auto parts store. This will tell you if you still have a leak somewhere in the coolant system.
I'm almost sure that the heater core and evap are in same box behind dash and share a drain hole

1. Transmissions fluid in my radiator. Than the cooler in your radiator has a leak. Or is it from the old radiator that you replaced.
2. The heater core has a hole in it. You should also have film on the inside of the windshield.

Back