Coolant leaking near oli filter

astaroth

Reaction score
City, State
Tallinn, Estonia
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer '93
Hi guys!

Yesterday I was changing my pitman arm seals and noticed a coolant tripping near oli filter.
Checked the heater core and it was dry and looked normal. No sign of coolant. What should I check more?

Marek

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had you been running the AC? Water drips from the bottom of the condenser/heater core area when the account is in use, and sometimes looks like a coolant leak. Have you checked to see if you are low on coolant?

It is surely coolant, because I do not have AC. And I checked the radiator and coolant was low.

Did a search in the forum, could it be the freeze plugs? I read that checking the plugs behind engine are difficult.

Just had a similar issue with my 91 was driving down to the gas station and I started smelling coolant, when I got to the store seen some dripping down, got home filled it all back up and ran my truck for a good 20 mins and nothing, in nc and been in the mid 90s ... Also truck hasn't been driven on a regular basis in about year

Could be leak at the freeze plugs on the side of the block, head gasket, freeze plug on rear of head, or in the valley where the lower manifold meets the heads. Worst case, could be cracked head.. I hope not. Do you have a cooling system pressure tester? You can pump up the system and poke around to see where its dribbling from. You can rent these tools from your local auto parts house.

Could also be lower intake gasket, they tend to leak in the rear corners. tightening LIM bolts can help if so, its a common issue on our trucks. Freeze plugs are also a likely culprit. there's not a lot of room back there with A/C, but you should be able to locate the freeze plug from underneath and check for leaks there.

One more question. To tightening the LIM bolts do i have to remove the upper intake? Is that correct?

Yes you will. I believe you can do the whole thing with nothing but a 13mm deep socket and a screwdriver. Take the air tube off, then the 6 nuts for the plenum (upper intake). If you have EGR, take the two bolts out and gently pull the tube back away from the plenum. You can just pop the throttle cable off with a screwdriver, then just make sure everything is off the plenum. There are some vacuum lines, maybe sparkplug wires, and a hose on the bottom of the throttle body. then pull the plenum straight up. At this point you can see the bolts for the lower intake. Torque spec for the lower intake is 15-18 ftlbs. I would re-torque them to 20 ftlbs. If they are already tight, all you have to do at this point is pull the valve covers and you can then pull the lower intake to replace the gasket.

This is assuming it is the lower intake that is leaking...

Back