• Register Today It's free!

Coolant Level In 2020 Explorers

KKRISKAL

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hello, just picked up the 2020 Ford Explorer ST couple of weeks back. While I was testing all variants (XLT, Platinum, ST etc.) I noticed that the coolant level in all the brand new explorers in cold conditions were at the min mark. Call me old fashioned but I always had vehicles that had the coolant level between the Min and Max mark (kinda exactly half way) when the engine is cold. I was just curious with this level when engine cold and if this is normal. Again I am talking about when the engine is cold, We even had 2 snow days below freezing and I checked early in the morning when it was way too cold and it was at min level.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would have brought that to the attention of the dealer when picking it up. All fluid levels should be checked and topped up as part of the predelivery inspection.

Peter

Hello Peter,

Yes I did, after checking the 4 explorers that I was interested in, I showed it to the dealer even before I decided on a particular vehicle. So they took me to this gigantic lot again with a whole bunch of keys and let me open the hood of any new 2020 explorer I wanted which I did. Every single one of them had it at the same level. I had a 2019 Lincoln continental before this (the 3.0 liter engine) and that had it at the same level, MIN. So they got their experienced service advisor and he mentioned that the vehicles I am looking at, they have already completed pre delivery inspection and every new vehicle comes with the same level of coolant filled from the factory and that is the normal range when cold.

My coolant level does go to the max level when hot. So he said if we fill it any more than what the factory level is, when the engine gets too hot like on long trips etc. it will spit out the excess via the purge valve so don't fill it anymore.

Me being old fashioned, I bought a motorcraft can of pre-diluted coolant and thought I will ask the experts in this forum. So if required, I will have it handy when my engine is cool so I can measure it appropriately and fill in my garage if required.

That makes sense I guess. I'm used to the old 'Cold' and 'Hot' designations. I just checked mine and it is sitting below the 'Min' mark so I guess I'll be heading down to the closest Ford dealership and picking up a container as well, assuming the Aviator uses the same type. Will check the Manual. Thank you.

Peter

Yes Peterk9, the parts guy told me that ford has now moved to the Yellow coolant now for all the 2020 Ford and Lincoln lineup. I also like the coolant level to be halfway between the Min and Max mark when cold.

Mine never made it up to the Max line even in the heat of the summer since I bought the ST last December. Today I checked it and it was at Max after driving it so I think when I had the fuel pump replaced last week, they must have added coolant to the reservoir.

Mine never made it up to the Max line even in the heat of the summer since I bought the ST last December. Today I checked it and it was at Max after driving it so I think when I had the fuel pump replaced last week, they must have added coolant to the reservoir.

That's the thing, what I am saying is mine is also at Max after driving and when the engine is hot but I am talking about when it is cold, when the car has been parked in my garage for over 12 hours or after a very cold night, this is when it is at the MIN mark.

From the 2020 Owners Manual:

Note: Make sure that the coolant level is between the MIN and MAX marks on the coolant reservoir.
Note: Coolant expands when it is hot. The level may extend beyond the MAX mark.

Also:
If the coolant level is at or below the minimum mark, add prediluted coolant immediately.

Went to the local Ford dealership (not my dealer) and went to buy a jug of antifreeze. Turned out they only had the concentrated one. I asked if they ever stocked the diluted ones and he said that they don't. I told him I was just down below the 'min' mark and he went and got an open jug from the service bay and topped my reservoir up. No charge. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it goes down but I can't recall if I checked it at delivery time.

Peter

That Ford dealer knows how to treat a customer.

Went to the local Ford dealership (not my dealer) and went to buy a jug of antifreeze. Turned out they only had the concentrated one. I asked if they ever stocked the diluted ones and he said that they don't. I told him I was just down below the 'min' mark and he went and got an open jug from the service bay and topped my reservoir up. No charge. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it goes down but I can't recall if I checked it at delivery time.

Peter

Yeah, even my dealer topped it up for me but since it was Hot when I drove there, they couldn't judge how much they were filling. so I got a can to keep in my garage so I can top it up properly anytime the level is low. This is because the service advisor told me that since it is prediluted fluid, the coolant in the reservoir tank will evaporate very slightly every 3-4 months of usage. And my dealer's parts department had the prediluted can so I just bought it for backup.

Back