coolant loss, overheat and rough idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

coolant loss, overheat and rough idle

klindberg

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi Guys,

I've got a 2003 Explorer, 2WD, 4.0

A week ago, the thermostat housing burst and started spraying water, it was over 100 degrees here.

Anyway, I ordered the replacement housing from rockauto.com per the advice from this website. But while I was waiting for the housing to get here, I had to drive it as it is my only vehicle. I just kept stopping often and topping off the coolant reservoir.

But the heat gauge did go to H a few times and the "check gauge' warning light went on. I always tried to pull over and stop immediately.

After I replaced the thermostat housing, it seemed fine for a few miles. but then all of a sudden, it started overheating. No leaks that I could see. It would not drive more than .75 miles before the temperature gauge reached H

I tried replacing the thermostat and that seemed to work. I tested the old one I took out using the pot of hot water on the stove. The old thermostat would not open even at 195 degrees. So I figured that was the problem.

But yesterday (a day later) I noticed that I was having to keep putting coolant into the reservoir. And the engine is idling rough most of the time. Once in a while it idles smooth but mostly it idles rough, almost quitting.

Once yesterday I started driving up a steep hill and it overheated.

There is no leak around the thermostat or housing. But I don't see where it could be leaking. I don't see any white exhaust.

So I've got 3 main symptoms, rough idle, sometimes very rough. And coolant level dropping. And overheating when the engine is under stress, like driving up a steep hill.

Also, the "Service Engine Soon" light is on.

I've got 104,000 miles on this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is midway through the Labor Day weekend and I'm worried that driving it at all might make it worse.

Thank you!

Back