Coolant overflow=boiling..temp gauge=not very hot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant overflow=boiling..temp gauge=not very hot

Wagonized

Reaction score
City, State
abbotsford bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0 limited
lately my X has been going through some coolant.

My temperature gets a bit higher than usual but is definitely not overheating. points slightly above 90 degrees at most. But when i shut off the truck the coolant in the overflow tank is boiling and from the sounds of it so is the water in the rad.

what could be the problem here?? Bad thermostat perhaps, or a bad gauge even

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds liek the guage isnt properly reading whats going on... any boiling coolant means at least 212 degrees.....

boiling can be a few things, i would first look at the acc drive belt to make sure it is still there, after that, the thermostat, then radiator.... leaking water pumps will cause coolant consumption and boiling conditions

put it on an emissions anlyzier (spelling) and check for hydrocarbons in the radiator...notice a milky substance in your radiator?

Radiator cap fixes it 98% of the time.

Start there before you worry about blown head gaskets or real overheating with a bad temp sending unit for the gauge.

-Joe

took the thermostat out and now no problems at all.

easy fix...somewhat. thermostat housing is a ***** to get off...could have definitely been engineered better

Best way to get the T-stat housing off is to move the serp belt out of the way. That way the tensioner pulley is out of the way of the 3rd bolt.

Back