• Register Today It's free!

coolant smell

Ish808

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bauer
okay I am usually good with finding problems with my truck, but this one boggles me. I just moved here to Colorado from Hawaii and shipped my 97 eddie bauer with me. I noticed ever since I got here, I can smell coolant when I drive. The problem is that I cannot find any leaking fluid anywhere and no wet spots on the engine or in the compartment. I filled it up to make sure I know what my level was and the coolant seems to be okay but that smell is bothering me. Anyone have any ideas what to check?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Odds on your heater core has a microscopic leak. It will vaporize coolant and you will smell it.... there is a drain under the core ... find it underneath the vehicle on the passenger side at the bottom under the firewall and see if you can find coolant inside, a Q tip might work to check with. I'm about 90% sure this is your problem. On the 1st gen's this was a 20 min fix, Unfortunately 2nd gens are a tad more difficult. You should continue to monitor the coolant... you might live with it until it gets worse.

Don't forget to look at the gasket on the radiator cap and make sure that it's in good condition. As a general rule of thumb, I replace the cap at every cooling system flush.

Another place to check is to feel the underside of the small coolant hose (at both ends) that runs from the top of the radiator to the coolant reservoir. With age, sometimes this hose will not seal that well anymore and, if you find a dab of coolant on it, you can replace it and/or hose clamp the ends.

Still another couple of places to check: (1) the heater control valve (look and feel not only where the hoses go onto it but around the crimp in the center of the valve where the diaphragm would be; (2) get a mirror and look at the intake manifold ends where they join the heads at both the front and the back of the motor.

Good luck

Thanks for the great info...I'll look at these areas...I hope I can find it. Thanks again and I'll let you know what I find.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a pressure tester for my truck? I had bought one from Napa a while ago but the dang thing does not fit my radiator...the neck of my radiator is smaller then the tester.

Check with NAPA for an adaptor. I have a Stant kit and it comes with several adaptors.

Smell

I had the same problem I replaced the mixing valve (not right name) the vacume valve that sends coolent to the heater core i changed that and bam smell gone

Back