• Register Today It's free!

Coolant system flush 93 exp

explorerscope

Reaction score
City, State
Deland, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer 4D 4x4 auto
Hey I own 1993 explorer 4x4 V6 I'm currently working on the fuel pump, but also had a problem with the radiator "overheating" and coolant was "bubbling" in the overflow container. A friend of family took out the thermostat, but it was still having the same problem, is it possible I may need to flush out the system and is it safe to back flush this model with chemical I saw called Radiator Flush, it suppose to get rid of all the junk up the the cooling system and suppose to be attached to the heater hose on my truck to back flush the entire system, will this solve the problem or create new ones? The dealer I brought it from had absolutely zero coolant mixed with the water and its only when I added the coolant/water mixture did this problem begin.

I already changed the radiator cap cause it was faulty, don't know if that was the problem till I get up and running again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never solved a cooling problem with Radiator Flush. Odds are your radiator is rusty and the flow is impeded. Either have it cleaned by a professional or replace it.

Also I'd put a new thermostat in there. It serves a purpose and shouldn't be left out for long.

I don't like rad flushes. I would only use a chemical flush if you think the coolant passages in the heads are clogged. Otherwise, I'd replace the radiator before I used chemicals on it. If you do have to use one of those chemical flushes, be sure to really wash out the system well. You don't want any of those flush chemicals left in the system when you re-fill.

Too many people just use regular water mixed with coolant in their rad. Better to use distilled water. Less hard water deposits to build up over time. Even with additives, coolant itself can't prevent hard water deposits from forming, especially after 6 months. After 6 months in the system, most coolant anti-lime additives break down, anyway.

If it were me I'd probably just buy a new radiator, put in a new stat, and be done with it. And pray that the coolant passages in the heads aren't blocked. If that's the case, you'll have to use a chemical flush, or else pull the heads and do it with elbow grease.

Re-fill your rad with distilled water and coolant in a 50/50 mix or else the new rad will eventually lime up just like the old one.

Oh, I noticed you are in Deland, Florida. You could probably get away with a 60% distilled water/ 40% coolant mix if you want. Just don't take your truck up north in the winter if you do that.

What about those pre-mixed 50/50 coolants?

They work.

The reason for the dilution is, "coolant" has lower conductivity than water. It doesn't absorb heat as quickly, and it doesn't shed it as quickly. It's used only to keep the water from boiling or freezing (in addition to anti-corrosion properties).

So in a climate where freezing is a serious danger, one can use more coolant because odds are the additional cooling capacity of water won't be needed.

Likewise, in a climate where freezing never happens, you can get away with using less coolant and more water. (Engines used to use pure water back in the day!) Our radiators are so large that boil-over is a rare hazard. I'd take that back in the case of a lot of low-speed city driving, especially in summer with the AC on.

Back