• Register Today It's free!

Coolant temperature

jkexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I have a 2000 Explorer XLT with a 4.0L V6 SOHC engine. Want to replace the coolant temperature sensor which communicates with the PCM as well as the coolant temperature sender which provides a signal to the temperature gauge in the dash. These are threaded units. My preference is to replace them with Motorcraft parts. I have ran into unexpected difficulties in trying to get the correct part numbers for these sensors. Even a chat with a Ford parts agent resulted in completely erroneous information. Would appreciate if someone can provide me with the correct part numbers for these two items. Thanks ahead of time!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for your response. A lot of valuable information there. I did look at Rock Auto prior to posting and saw a listing for the Motorcraft sensor (switch) SW5174 which I believe communicates with the gauge in the dash. I did not see a listing for the Motorcraft engine coolant sensor which provides information to the PCM. Ford website lists DY-1156 as the ECT sensor but every other reseller states that it's the wrong sensor for my car. Therein lies the confusion. In any case it may be a moot point if I decide to go with an upgraded housing which will then require the clip on sensors. Something to think about. Thanks again for the info!

IMO the Austekk aluminum kit for $64 including shipping should be a no brainer for you. There is a VERY high probability both sensor port brass inserts inside the housing will likely break free and leak when loosened. Also, from reading past threads you DON'T want to replace with an aftermarket plastic housing kit such as Dorman or Four Seasons.

4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison

EDIT- Austekk ATK-8592-AGCS not in stock from linked eBay seller above.

Here's another source for $80 including shipping.
Zabteck Performance - Austekk Aluminum Thermostat Housings

Perhaps the Austekk housing is the way to go. What concerns me is that I've read a bit more about the Austekk and saw several comments relative to the fact that the radiator hose outlet on the upper half is most likely at a different angle than OEM. One recommendation was to utilize an existing upper half of the plastic housing. Of course the comments were made about a 1999 Explorer and mine is a 2000 so not sure if it applies to my situation, but if it does it seems somewhat of a downer to mix metal and old plastic in a new housing. Any thoughts?

Could swear I read the upper t-stat hose angle issue was resolved. If you don't mind paying the slightly higher price, call
Todd Z who owns Zabteck and can answer any questions. I'll search for the EF thread regarding the hose angle solution.

^ Donald, do you know if the upper t-stat housing hose angle was ever corrected with the Austekk replacement?

^ Donald, do you know if the upper t-stat housing hose angle was ever corrected with the Austekk replacement?
I think they did if you request they will send you one
I think I read that somewhere my angle was off a little but fit and works fine. Minty af

Yes sir. still running them to also tested them to they were on point
Just one more question. I noticed that your car is a 1999 and as such probably used threaded sensors. Did you upgrade to an Austekk housing with threaded sensors or clip on sensors?

Just one more question. I noticed that your car is a 1999 and as such probably used threaded sensors. Did you upgrade to an Austekk housing with threaded sensors or clip on sensors?
See Donald's pic in "comparison" link above. Those are definitely clip in sensors that love to fly off and get lost when removed. As many have suggested tie string, mono fishing line, or something to them to prevent loss. I used "scissors like" locking forceps and a zip tie on the clips in case they flew off.

See Donald's pic in "comparison" link above. Those are definitely clip in sensors that love to fly off and get lost when removed. As many have suggested tie string, mono fishing line, or something to them to prevent loss. I used "scissors like" locking forceps and a zip tie on the clips in case they flew off.

Got it. I assume the clip on sensors are easier to install then the threaded ones or is it six of one and half dozen of the other?

JK, you brought up a very good point and may be why Donald had hose angle issues with his 1999 SOHC.
IIRC, the NON threaded o-ring sensor housings were used on later SOHC's and had the steeper hose angle.
Ideally you want the o-ring sensor housing with the older upper housing with less angle.

EDIT- Geez, maybe I have that bass ackwards regarding the upper housing angle.
Newer SOHC's definitely have o-ring sensors.

Either way, double check YOUR upper t-stat housing angle BEFORE ordering. LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JK, you brought up a very good point and may be why Donald had hose angle issues with his 1999 SOHC.
IIRC, the NON threaded o-ring sensor housings were used on later SOHC's and had the steeper hose angle.
Ideally you want the o-ring sensor housing with the older upper housing with less angle.

EDIT- Geez, maybe I have that bass ackwards.

Either way, double check YOUR upper t-stat housing angle BEFORE ordering. LOL

I sent an email to Todd at Zabtech asking if there is a hose angle difference or any other variations between the Austekk threaded and clip-in housings. Will post his answer.

Back