Coolbulbs kit flickering? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolbulbs kit flickering?

pup5581

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Explorer Sport
My drivers side headlight is flicker when it's been on for a while..passengers side is fine...bad connection?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My drivers side headlight is flicker when it's been on for a while..passengers side is fine...bad connection?

Call Andrew at coolbulbs. I have ordered/replaced all four ballasts. Waiting on fog ballasts to arrive. I have read somewhere a flicker can be the bulb itself, which is rare. The ballast issue will have the light turn off completely and the only short term remedy is to turn the light switch off and on again for a second.

The ballasts run 30.00 each and the bulbs are much cheaper.

Buzz

Call Andrew at coolbulbs. I have ordered/replaced all four ballasts. Waiting on fog ballasts to arrive. I have read somewhere a flicker can be the bulb itself, which is rare. The ballast issue will have the light turn off completely and the only short term remedy is to turn the light switch off and on again for a second.

The ballasts run 30.00 each and the bulbs are much cheaper.

Buzz

He said i probably need a relay...so i am going to get that first and see if it fixes it

He said i probably need a relay...so i am going to get that first and see if it fixes it

I noticed ddmtuning.com has these relays available also. A tech at ddmtuning also told me their 35watt ballast priced at 12.50 a piece is a perfect match as the coolbulbs but built to ddm standards. Please let me know how much effort is required on installing the relays. The headlight ballasts I have replaced have worked flawlessly so far after about three hours of non continuous useage. Probably about 7-8 cycles.

Buzz

mine only flickers when care is on..when it's off..it stops

mine only flickers when care is on..when it's off..it stops
Might need a relay.

No idea if its a simple plug and play or if you have to get down and dirty.

Might need a relay.

No idea if its a simple plug and play or if you have to get down and dirty.

He said to install it's very easy..ill report back once i get it and put it in

Mine started to do that a few weeks after installing. I unplugged and re-plugged everything in and it seemed to resolve that issue. Been good for 3 months now.

Mine started to do that a few weeks after installing. I unplugged and re-plugged everything in and it seemed to resolve that issue. Been good for 3 months now.

See i haven't done this year and i probably should....maybe i will try tonight

Mine flickered upon install, replaced the ballast and was good to go.

So i unplugged everything and plugged it back in..still flickers when car is on...when car is off and just lights on..no flicker...has something to do with the power then...so i think the relay will fix it

so i unplugged everything and plugged it back in..still flickers when car is on...when car is off and just lights on..no flicker...has something to do with the power then...so i think the relay will fix it

10-4

I had tons of issue with coolbulbs. Andrew was helpful and nice but I just got tired of replacing and switching parts.

I had tons of issue with coolbulbs. Andrew was helpful and nice but I just got tired of replacing and switching parts.

What other kit did you get?

Threw some Phillips HIR bulbs in for now. They are no better than crap oem bulbs in my opinion. Leaning towards a diode dynamics kit.

Having lights turn out when driving, especially with my kids in the back seat, pretty damn scary.

Threw some Phillips HIR bulbs in for now. They are no better than crap oem bulbs in my opinion. Leaning towards a diode dynamics kit.

Having lights turn out when driving, especially with my kids in the back seat, pretty damn scary.

Ya i don't have that or never have..just the slight flicker

Relay didn't fix the issue unfortunately

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back