• Register Today It's free!

Cooling system “banging”

Berepair

Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 Ranger 92,94 Ex 2&4wd
My 92 Explorer cooling system, in the cold weather, would bang at idle until the engine got to full temp. This winter it was doing it all the time (still only at idle) even when warm. I read somewhere on a forum about maybe rerouting some hosing or something???
Anyone here familiar with this phenomenon?
4.0 2wd auto 150k+ miles and still running 😁
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never heard of that, what makes you say it’s the cooling system thats banging and not anything else under the hood?

Never heard of that, what makes you say it’s the cooling system thats banging and not anything else under the hood?
It was only happening when it's cold (wintertime), before the engine fully warmed up, and at idle. Under throttle thumping was not there. Also would continue for a minute or so after truck was turned off. I only live a mile or so from my shop so truck never really gets fully warmed when I commute. Used to happen only if engine wasn't fully warmed (no issue/noise if driven 20 miles).
Banging/thumping similar to if adding water to an overheated radiator/engine before it cools.
Now, seems to happen even if I drive it for a longer time (fully warmed). Again, only when outside temp is cold (maybe below 50 degrees???).
It's been a few years (3 maybe more) like this, totally bearable as I only commute 4 miles a day total. Just it's been getting a little worse.
Like I said I was reading some forum and kinda remember something about it. Probably need to flush the cooling system (PITA) to make it stop.
I'll update if it continues into the warmer weather now.
Thanks for the reply!

Have you ever changed the thermostat or heater core? Done a cooling system flush?
Add water often?

Have you ever changed the thermostat or heater core? Done a cooling system flush?
Add water often?
No, no, no, add coolant sporadically (timing cover external seepage sometimes). Heat works good. AC even works well (at least last year it did😁).
Today it’s warm outside, no banging. Probably won’t do it again until next Fall. If it last that long. Probably will, I’ve had this truck for about 7 years and almost never lets me down. 🤞

So its a thumping loud enough to hear in the cab like water gurgling in a hot engine, but it only does it with cool temps. With cooler temps metal should shrink up, with heat, expand, so by some far stretch could your water pump bearing or something of that sort be trying to hang up with the cold weather and loosens up with some heat?

your temp sensor only gives a range of indication on the "dial," which unfortunately doesn't give accurate readings for precise temps. That could be part of the issue right there. The "pulsing" is a common issue on 1st gen explorers. There was a "bypass kit" that ford made to help mitigate the underhood "thumping" thats usually caused by a perfect storm of a few different things. Incorrect coolant/water mix (ratio) in addition to deposit buildup in the water jacket of the block, water pump potentially on the way out, or nonstandard and/or off-brand t-stat.
I'd recommend covering all of your bases first to help eliminate the culprit of your issue. Good flush of system (to include heater core,) motorcraft t-stat, repair any leaks in system, and verify you don't have a head gasket leak via fluid content test or leakdown check with a good ear. Air could be getting into the system via head crack or gasket leak. a simple bypass can be put together with some plumbing fittings and extra heater hose, if need be. if its a head and/or gasket, it'll require much more than that, obviously.
i'm sure i have forgotten some things...but the folks here are awesome on this forum. A lot of people with plenty of knowledge and experience. I'm sure they'll chime in soon with more tips. Please keep us posted as your work progresses. Cheers!

your temp sensor only gives a range of indication on the "dial," which unfortunately doesn't give accurate readings for precise temps. That could be part of the issue right there. The "pulsing" is a common issue on 1st gen explorers. There was a "bypass kit" that ford made to help mitigate the underhood "thumping" thats usually caused by a perfect storm of a few different things. Incorrect coolant/water mix (ratio) in addition to deposit buildup in the water jacket of the block, water pump potentially on the way out, or nonstandard and/or off-brand t-stat.
I'd recommend covering all of your bases first to help eliminate the culprit of your issue. Good flush of system (to include heater core,) motorcraft t-stat, repair any leaks in system, and verify you don't have a head gasket leak via fluid content test or leakdown check with a good ear. Air could be getting into the system via head crack or gasket leak. a simple bypass can be put together with some plumbing fittings and extra heater hose, if need be. if its a head and/or gasket, it'll require much more than that, obviously.
i'm sure i have forgotten some things...but the folks here are awesome on this forum. A lot of people with plenty of knowledge and experience. I'm sure they'll chime in soon with more tips. Please keep us posted as your work progresses. Cheers!
The "bypass kit" is what I believe I had read about. Any idea how this is plumbed into the system. The cooling system had been noiseless. When I first noticed it I thought I was low on coolant. Originally only doing it after shutdown, on a cold day, when driven for less than 10 minutes. The next Winter it was a little worse (doing it at idle, but still only when engine was cold). Progressively more often but still only when cold. Last month it's gotten to where even after engine is warm (same place on the temp needle) it will bang (thump) at idle. Now that the outside temp is war (above 60) the thump has gone away.

I will do a system flush and clean out the 30 years of crud as best as possible, then see what next Winter brings!

Thanks for the reply.

Back