cooling system and spark plugs 98explorer 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cooling system and spark plugs 98explorer 5.0

bobby35

Reaction score
City, State
mobile alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer
Ive read a couple of yas advice on plugs and wires and ya helped out greatly now ive got a water leak on front of my engine i cant c where its coming from almost leads to water pump but its dry under there i put bars stop leak cuz i really needed to drive it it stopped for now but i hope i didnt mess r clog nething up now i got time and a lil money i can dig into it ne suggestions in where its leaking from thanks for other threads

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a hose on the bottom of Ur water pump that runs to where Ur oil filter is check that hose I had a recent experience with it leaking

My suggestion is to rent a pressure pump and put 5-7 lbs of pressure on it. This should show you where it's leaking without the engine running.

Your cap should blow @ 16 lbs but you car runs around 5-7. putting a large strain could bring more problems you don't need.

My suggestion is to rent a pressure pump and put 5-7 lbs of pressure on it. This should show you where it's leaking without the engine running.

Your cap should blow @ 16 lbs but you car runs around 5-7. putting a large strain could bring more problems you don't need.

yup you will see smoke where your leak is.. also i would drain as much coolant as you can once you fix it to try to get all that "stop leak" stuff out. also replace thermostat while you got the fluid drained its cheap insurance at this point!

There is a hose on the bottom of Ur water pump that runs to where Ur oil filter is check that hose I had a recent experience with it leaking

Not necessarily -- the oil cooler was deleted in the middle of the 98 model year. Mine (mfg 4/98 if memory serves) does not have it.

As already stated, a pressure test is the way to go. If you don't see anything dripping from the hoses or the bottom of the water pump, be aware that the 'usual suspects' for this engine are the top right and left corners of the timing cover gasket, aroud the coolant passages. If that's what you find, check that the bolts did not work themselves out before undertaking the rather challenging task of removing the timing cover.

Autozone will rent you a pressure tester for a nominal fee (tho a big deposit, so make sure to return it). Take some pics of where you see the leaks (if any) and post to help us help you pinpoint the problem. At what rate are you losing coolant?

There are many places coolant can escape and the fan blowing everything rearward makes it tougher to diagnose with the engine running. Def rent the pressure tester.

Consider acquiring a Haynes manual for your Ex. It has easily followed diagnostic and repair procedures for the cooling system.

If you determine that it's leaking from the timing cover/block interface, there are many excellent writeups on this site to assist with that repair job. The Haynes manual does as well. There are some tips and insights from those of us who have done the repair if it comes to that, but first find the leak source and/or location.

Back