Cooling system flush help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cooling system flush help

I thought dexcool was NOT supposed to be used in our vehicles due to it breaking down seals/hoses?
Anywho, I've already put the Prestone 50/50 (safe for all makes and models (yeah right)). I'll keep an eye on the gauges and color and change it out if there's any problems.
My bottle was the yellow with blue cap (black cap un-diluted)

The Prestone 50/50 (yellow bottle) is 'safe' for the vehicle meaning it will not overheat, but it is certainly not recommend and I would not trust any garage that would put that in my explorer. I am a strict by the books kind of worker. When working on my own car I always torque everything down, not to be a torque Nazi but I like to know it's done proper.

Anywho, The book states motorcraft gold, or zerex g05. That is what I always used in mine. No problems to date. Yes its expensive, yes it's hard to find, but it's what is mandated by ford. +1 to the person who spoke about silicates and seals. This is why the Prestone will eventually fail. It's your car, do as you wish as the Prestone will work fine for some time, but plan to replace seals and gaskets in the future.

The Prestone 50/50 (yellow bottle) is 'safe' for the vehicle meaning it will not overheat, but it is certainly not recommend and I would not trust any garage that would put that in my explorer. I am a strict by the books kind of worker. When working on my own car I always torque everything down, not to be a torque Nazi but I like to know it's done proper.

Anywho, The book states motorcraft gold, or zerex g05. That is what I always used in mine. No problems to date. Yes its expensive, yes it's hard to find, but it's what is mandated by ford. +1 to the person who spoke about silicates and seals. This is why the Prestone will eventually fail. It's your car, do as you wish as the Prestone will work fine for some time, but plan to replace seals and gaskets in the future.

Mine was pink when I got my Exp and I've only added 1/4 a gallon of the grey bottle prestone. So I'm pretty sure I'm fine. Funny it was 1/4 gallon low when I got it and even after 5000 miles I have not had to add any since.

I'm thinking the pre-exhisting pink is FleetCharge which has the same silicates and nitrates specs as the Zerex.

http://images.oreillyauto.com/uploads/pdf/ad/SD_672 AFZ Comparison Chart-1.pdf

Back