cooling system issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cooling system issues

92exp4x4x5

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL
dropping in to say hello as a new member! I have a question that maybe someone could assist with. I have had some cooling system issues. Thought it was rectifyed with new radiator...not! My explorer is a 92 4X4 manual tranny...she has 178,000 miles on her. Since she was "fixed" I still smell antifreeze and my temp guage fluctuates. (new thermostat). Anyway I climbed underneath the other day and found a small drip coming from what I believe is the heater hose to the water pump. The hose connection there is also swollen. So, I took it to the mechanic who claimes that the leak is coming from the timing cover. Is this possible? I am female and know a little about cars but not enough to answer this question. There is no water in my oil (no milk shake). This all started when I had the system flushed and nothing but BLACK SLIME came out. Then I lost heat altogether. The heater core does not appear to be leaking. No wet carpet, etc. Is there anyone out there that can toubleshoot from my description before I spen A LOT of money to fix my baby? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

I would replace that hose that is swollen, then get the cooling system pressure tested. That should find the leak for you.

That sounds like the best option now...thank you so much...I overlooked the idea of the pressure test. OOPS. I appreciate your response.
Darlene

Back