• Register Today It's free!

cooling system

shinta

Reaction score
City, State
yuma az
Year, Model & Trim Level
92ex
What's up guys. I live in yuma az, one of the hottest places on th planet, my 91 x has over 300,000 miles on its motor and she runs a lol warm. She stays in normal but barely. So Ian thinking new water pump pressure check my radiator an elec fan and a six fan in the front, for a lil extra help. And of coarse a flush and new hoses. But iam look for suggestions on what kind of fans to get and any other suggestions would also be appreciated. Iam also hoping this will help with the random vapor lock during the 120+ summer weather. Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could try the 180 deg. Thermostat. Verify your Fan Clutch Operation. Radiator Replacement. Mine has 157k miles with similar characteristics and the Lower Temp Stat and Replacement of the original Radiator fixed me up. I worked in Mariopa, AZ for a few weeks many summers ago and I remember the HEAT.

So u really think a 15 degree change will make a significant change in the engines temp.

The TS will open at 180 degrees instead of 195. This allows coolant into the block sooner & will aid in cooling. In theory it should cool the block better. However it's a 20+ yo explorer, keep that in mind.

Running a 180 degree thermostat on an engine designed with a 190 degree operating temp is usually a bad idea, but there might be enough heat from the surroundings that the 180 would wind up keeping it close to operating temp, but still, not really ideal based on how thermostats work.

You're best off either getting the 11-blade cooling fan and Hayden heavy-duty fan clutch, along with regular cooling system maintenance such as a flush and running 50/50 or so of some decent coolant (I'd suggest either Zerex G-05 or Green) mixed with distilled water. Using a good oil helps with operating temps too, as well as keeping everything else in good shape.

Some AZ members fix up an additional switch-controlled push fan (or two), in front of the radiator/condenser, for some manual heat control when things get really hot, especially with A/C on. Definitely a good mod for 100+ degree days for sure.

Check to make sure you have a two row radiator, my '92 with a manual transmission didin't come stock with one. I installed one and my over-heating issues are now long gone.

ok hold on. i too however live in arizona. in my explorer it takes well over 30 minute for my temp gauge to even do any movement. rather cold or hot it rarly moves. but after a while it does move, but stays below normal. is that bad. if so what should i do. i live right inside of queen creek and do alot of driving in the desert as im currently demo the old gm proving grounds

Common issues with 1st gens. Either the gauge sensor is bad or the TS is stuck open.

i had similar issues... i put a lower stat in and changed it all up... mine has 225k miles... also might be time for a rad flush.. might need some new fluids...

Back