Cooper Tire Sale--Any Experience w/LSX? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cooper Tire Sale--Any Experience w/LSX?

mchrist809

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
NTB/Tire Kingdom/Merchants Tire is running a weekend buy 2/get 2 sale on select tires. In 235/70R16 the choice is the Geolander HT or Cooper Discoverer LSX. There's no info out there of this Cooper because it's made exclusively for this tire company. So, anyone have any experience with THIS Cooper, the LSX? (I have Cooper CS4's on the wife's Subaru and love em.)

$569 OTD, including four-wheel alignment, which I happen to need.

Thanks for sharing any real world experience.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had Cooper Tires on an old Chevy I had a long time ago, loved them!
I actually plan to get the Cooper Discoverer CTS when I need new tires (I don't do enough off-roading anymore to justify the expense of Discoverer S/T).

Here is what I was able to find about the LSX model...
"The Discoverer LSX is an S-rated premium SUV tire and showcases four wide, notched circumferential grooves with a center rib that provides resistance to hydroplaning, while improving snow traction. Its deep-biting, high-density, zig-zag sipes enhances wet traction and winter performance on snow and ice. The LSX's siped semi-open shoulder design provides great wet and snow traction while maintaining optimal roadway-worthy ride and quietness."

Yep, the Cooper CTS's have good reviews (and price) on Treadepot.com.

If I can't get some real world performance feedback on the LSX's I'm not gonna get em -- rather not spend almost $600 on tires with NO info. They may be great or the may be lousy.

Are you sure that price is right? For that kind of dough, you should be able to get just about any tire you want in that size. I just bought four 31x10.50x15 Firestone Destination ATs a couple of weeks ago and they were $573 out the door. If you're only buying two and getting the other two free, then you're paying over $275 per tire, which is insane for any Cooper.

This deal only makes sense, perhaphs, if you NEED an aligmnet, which I do since I just did a bunch of front end work. Here's the breakdown I got this AM:

Cooper LSX $151.99 x 2

"Premium" Install (lifetime balance, rotate, hazard) $29.99 x 4

6 month/6K mile 4-wheel alignmnet $79.99

Disposal $12

Shop Fees $12.80

tax $21

Total $549.

Yes, NTB is a total rip off and would not normally even consider them. But way I see this 2/2 deal is $112 per tire installed. ($550 less taxes and alignment.)

Still a bad deal (assuming evidence that LSX is good)?

Well, I paid $145/per tire when I had my BFGOODRICH All-Terrain T/A KO put on.

(235/75R15)
(but that was six years ago)

Honestly, they're killing you on all of those fees. At least two of the tires are free because if you were paying for all four, it would be ridiculous. Maybe it's just a regional thing, but all of the tire shops around here do all of that extra stuff for free except for the alignment. Two-wheel alignments are $39.95 and four-wheel alignments are $69.95 at my local shop. I have an appointment this Wednesday to get a new inner tie rod end installed and a two-wheel alignment and they said it would be $55+tax excluding the price of the part, which I already ordered. It's hard to beat that kind of pricing. So anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I would shop around a bit more if I were you. If you find a shop that mounts, balances, et cetera for free with your purchase, then you may be able to select from a broader range of tire manufacturers rather than being limited to the couple of choices you mentioned.

NTB/Tire Kingdom/Merchants Tire is running a weekend buy 2/get 2 sale on select tires. In 235/70R16 the choice is the Geolander HT or Cooper Discoverer LSX. There's no info out there of this Cooper because it's made exclusively for this tire company. So, anyone have any experience with THIS Cooper, the LSX? (I have Cooper CS4's on the wife's Subaru and love em.)

$569 OTD, including four-wheel alignment, which I happen to need.

Thanks for sharing any real world experience.
I just bought a set of these tires over the weekend mine were a little higher as i have 17 on my truck but got a really good deal on them and they look great and truck rides very smooth my OTD price was 630 pretty good for 4 new tires and a alignment to

That's a ton of money. I just purchased a brand new set of Falken Ziex STZ04 235/70/16's from Discount Tire. I got them to price match another local tire store & after all was said & done I paid $550 out the door with lifetime balance, flat repair & road hazard free replacement.

I would shop around.

Discount Tire is awesome... it is amazing to get such great service from a national chain!

Looks like the LSX is the same as the HT.

Discount Tire gave me a quote of $470 OTD for the HT's last month, didn't bite yet.

Back