correct dipstick? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

correct dipstick?

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
one more time.. i have a 2001 xls, rwd, 4.0 SOCH, auto trans. i can't figure out what the deal is w/my engine oil dipstick.

this engine is supposed to take 5 quarts of oil w/filter. when i change the oil, 5 qts drains out (includes filter) and i put 5 qts back in. according to my dipstick i am way overfilled. i'm talking 1.5" to 2" over what my dipstick indicates as FULL/MAX. i've seen posts about minor differences in dipstick length and about needing to remove the dipstick when draining oil. this doesn't explain my problem. before i lay out $25 for a replacement dipstick (fomoco part #6750) or $35 to replace the dipstick and tube, i'd like to be sure it's the correct one. can anyone provide me with correct dipstick measurement/markings/part#? i know the dipstick can't be too long because it doesn't hit the bottom of the oil pan when inserted. i always put in the 5 qts of oil and believe this to be the correct quantity, i've added a new full mark to my dipstick, but it just drives me crazy and it's confusing for anyone else checking the oil.

thanks in advance for your input

Back