Correct Radiator Size for 2001 Explorer Sport 4.0? 1" or 2"? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Correct Radiator Size for 2001 Explorer Sport 4.0? 1" or 2"?

@RickOTR…. How many miles do you have on your truck? I would like to know the story, as your profile signature indicates you have well over 600,000 miles.

Wow.

@RickOTR…. How many miles do you have on your truck? I would like to know the story, as your profile signature indicates you have well over 600,000 miles.

Wow.
I'm interested to

Bert,

Can you tell from the information how many rows each radiator has? The one inch radiators might have one row, while the two inch radiators may have two rows. The more rows would have more cooling capacity.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Mr. Alligator
1997 Ford Explorer
My 2001 Explorer Sport 2-door 4wd has one core and 2" top and bottom channels, all about mounting, both 1" and 2" work they say.

I am actually replacing my radiator today and what the original poster is actually talking about is the upper and lower radiator to fan shroud mount points. That is how they list some of these radiators, mine is a 2". 2" CHANNEL radiators are wider at the top and bottom. This is not how many cores are within the radiator. A 1 inch channel radiator top and bottom is only 1" wide top and bottom. Both of these radiators on my 2001 Sport Trac are both only single core. But unlike most I have a 2" wide OEM. Which means if I were to mount my fan shroud the 1" wide T & B CHANNELS would have a 1" gap between my shroud and the radiator mating surfaces at the top and bottom of my radiator. Yes my 2" T & B Channel radiator is only single core but at the top and bottom it is extended by 1 more inch close that gap. But since both are single core radiators they both have the same performance. As with what someone else said, it is about correct mounting when it comes to these radiators.

Back