Correct Radiator Size for 2001 Explorer Sport 4.0? 1" or 2"? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Correct Radiator Size for 2001 Explorer Sport 4.0? 1" or 2"?

groundlevelbert

Reaction score
City, State
franklin, tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer sport
Help! Needing to replace a leaking radiator in my 2001 Explorer Sport with
4.0L (build date 3/2000)...When looking up this part online, I am seeing two
part numbers--one for a 1" top and bottom channel, and another for a 2" top
and bottom channel...

How do I determine which part that I need to order? thanks for helping this
newbie...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bert,

Can you tell from the information how many rows each radiator has? The one inch radiators might have one row, while the two inch radiators may have two rows. The more rows would have more cooling capacity.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Mr. Alligator
1997 Ford Explorer

they both show 1" cores and 1 row, which leads me to believe that the 1" and 2" channel
options must have something to do with mounting... ???

All of my Explorers and Mountaineers have the 1" radiator, Even the ones with the towing package. Good enough for Ford, good enough for me. I've never had an overheating issue.

I recently replaced the radiator in my '01 Sport Trac, and was as confused as you seem to be when I first read the descriptions. It reads like the upper and lower channels are 1 or 2", but it's really the core they're talking about. 1" = single core. 2" = 2 core. They mount in exactly the same way. The original is a 1" single core, so you'll be fine with either. I went with the 2", and it fit exactly like the original, but should offer more cooling ability. Probably not necessary, but with a Speed Perks discount I was able to get it for about the regular price of the 1". Honestly, I was still confused right up to when I placed the order and somehow read the description differently than I did at first.

My 98 XLT (not sure if factory) come with 2" one.

You might know, that my explorer is a rescue one, 6 years stopped and is not hard to imagine the lack of care that the truck had. I think that the previous owner use domestic water..

After a while, I was experience boiling water problems.

Then, the radiator blows inside, and mix the water with the tranny fluid.. what a mess

The only radiator which I was able to found, was the 1" one.

The boiling problem gone, and the truck run very fine.

Here, we have almost 104ºF in summer and 23ºF in winter

Either radiator will install and work fine. Ford changed from the thick 2" core version to the 1" in the 98 or so range.

The cooling ability of these radiators are excellent, because they are so large in surface area with the big grille openings. So you can use either size, but anyone with serious towing needs, or lots of low speed driving, they should want the thicker radiator.

Both of my 98 302's have the thick one, my 99 V6 has the thin version.

Note that there is a difference between the V6 and V8 radiators. They do not mount in exactly the same place, the V8 unit is located forward more, slightly under the radiator support. The V6 has an AC condenser hung very neatly with a bracket underneath it. The V8 unit is a PITA as it has the AC condenser connected directly to it.

All thanks, I had the same question. What is the different between the 1" and 2" top and bottom.

My truck was bought used and I notice it does not have the radiator that belongs in the vehicle.

The center part of the radiator where the fins are is the difference. One is 1" thick, and the other is 2" thick. The ends of the radiator are the same.

Help! Needing to replace a leaking radiator in my 2001 Explorer Sport with
4.0L (build date 3/2000)...When looking up this part online, I am seeing two
part numbers--one for a 1" top and bottom channel, and another for a 2" top
and bottom channel...

How do I determine which part that I need to order? thanks for helping this
newbie...
In '99 they went to ULEV Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle (had a stupid ULEV sticker on my 2001 window) so, less gas consumption (a good thing), and less heat means less radiator needed, it's that's simple...1" normal, change to a 2" if you tow heavy I guess.

My 99 came with a 2 row so I replaced it with a 2 row period

In '99 they went to ULEV Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle (had a stupid ULEV sticker on my 2001 window) so, less gas consumption (a good thing), and less heat means less radiator needed, it's that's simple...1" normal, change to a 2" if you tow heavy I guess.
That's not...
No.
That's not how any of this works.

Simply put
They got better at making radiators and fan clutches

They were able to make a lesser part which reduced the vehicle cost, and it was "good enough." OEM's goal is to make it "good enough" to last through the 100,000 mile warrantee, nothing more.

The 97-01 SOHC 4.0's get the same fuel mileage for each of them, and the emissions changes of 1999 didn't measurably reduce pollutants.

I haven't seen the fan shroud on the 2" ones, on the thin ones looks like it sticks In to take up the gap between the tanks and core, does this need to be trimmed off to work with 2" core radiator?

OEM is 2 row from 95 to 97. After that, it is 1 row unless it's aftermarket. Both do a great job for the Explorer no matter what engine you have.

OEM is 2 row from 95 to 97. After that, it is 1 row unless it's aftermarket. Both do a great job for the Explorer no matter what engine you have.

The change to single row radiators happened during the 98 model, not before. I own three 98's, all with stock thick radiators.

I haven't seen the fan shroud on the 2" ones, on the thin ones looks like it sticks In to take up the gap between the tanks and core, does this need to be trimmed off to work with 2" core radiator?
I believe that the shrouds are the same. The one inch difference in thickness is contained under the frame of the radiator, so the fan shrouds are interchangeable and no trimming is needed.

Good luck.

The change to single row radiators happened during the 98 model, not before. I own three 98's, all with stock thick radiators.
I thought that's what I just said :oops:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back