Corroded battery cables "Clean them or buy new ones"??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Corroded battery cables "Clean them or buy new ones"???

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
My idle was low. I went to pull the battery cables off so I could reset the computer. I noticed the connections were pretty corroded. We cleaned them the best we could when we were on the trail but they are still pretty bad. I don't notice and exposed wires or anything. What do you guys think. I also just bought a optima battery and was going to do everything at once. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here is my advice.... since you have a 94 just go ahead and replace them.... battery wires are cheap.... getting stuck in the middle of nowhere becuase the cables are fried costs lots of swearing and resentment...... use this theory.... it is bad on the outside and "just becuase we cant see air doesnt mean it isnt there."... case in point the insides of the wires may be toast and the outsides "LOOK" fine....just replace them... they are like under $20

Thanks, Jimabenna74. Thats kinda what I was thinking but it's always nice to get a second opinion. I should be able to get these at any auto store right?????????

Went to the auto parts store for new battery cables. They were around $20 a piece but they looked like a piece of poo. Very generic. Called the dealer ship their cables are around $40 a piece. I think Im gonna go with the more expensive ones. Any one have any feedback?

I only replaced my + cable. Bought it from the dealer. Cost about $75. I fell it was worth it compared to the genreric crap. $40 soumd like a steal. I say go for it.

Back