• Register Today It's free!

Corroding/Rusted strut?

foxtemple

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
Are my strut mounts supposed to be like this? One is rusty looking and the other one seems fine... I'm not even sure if they are called strut mounts but they are the bolts directly above the struts on either side of the car.

9637047949_ac40c436c1_b.jpg

photo 1 (1) by tankertrans, on Flickr

This is what the driver side looks like....

9637048307_ff6321f432_b.jpg

photo 2 (1) by tankertrans, on Flickr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rust

Hehe you should see under my truck...... :eek:

Seriously though that's some weird looking rust. Probably nothing I would worry about though.

haha.....are you serious..???

yes....that's what rust looks like.

sorry

:salute:

haha.....are you serious..???

yes....that's what rust looks like.

sorry

I knew it was rust lol. I don't it is normal for a vehicle with 30k miles on it to look like that... My strut mount on the opposite side actually gave out not too long ago. Very frustrating...

I knew it was rust lol. I don't it is normal for a vehicle with 30k miles on it to look like that... My strut mount on the opposite side actually gave out not too long ago. Very frustrating...

do you live by the water....???

ocean shore....within 15 miles...????

or a state where they salt the roads...???

ok....just seen it philly...haha

it is what it is bro....haha
your can undercoat, or simply start spray painting (black) lol
that's all you can do.

:thumbsup:

On a couple year old vehicle, it's just regular maintenance.

If you want to get rid of it, try a wire brush + PB blaster or WD 40.

you are missing the strut protective caps, you can see remnants of glue, since the very early models, they were falling off, so the fix at the plant was to glue them, which was not very successful based on your photos. I do not know if they have since then changed the design of the caps so that they don't fall off that easy....

9637047949_ac40c436c1_b.jpg

photo 1 (1) by tankertrans, on Flickr

This is what the driver side looks like....

9637048307_ff6321f432_b.jpg

photo 2 (1) by tankertrans, on Flickr

Does anyone else's look like this? Dealer says it is normal.[/QUOTE]

It must be Ground Hog Day where you are.....you are repeating the very same question in the very same thread......Are you hoping for different responses/answers than you received the first time around???
As suggested before, simply spray them with a rust inhibiting lubricant if you are concerned........

It must be Ground Hog Day where you are.....you are repeating the very same question in the very same thread......Are you hoping for different responses/answers than you received the first time around???
As suggested before, simply spray them with a rust inhibiting lubricant if you are concerned........
Sorry for the confusion. The OP started a new thread with the same pics. I advised OP that it wasn't necessary as a new post would have moved the thread back to page 1. I then moved that thread to this original one and asked about removing the double pics. I was going to remove them this morning if nothing heard back. They are now deleted.
I don't think the issue is a big deal. As I posted, I have caps covering mine.

Peter

Even if it is not a big deal do you think it should be replaced under warranty? It looks like it will be a pain to replace when the time comes. I cannot find any details on the corrosion warranty. Does it only apply to body panels?

Even if it is not a big deal do you think it should be replaced under warranty? It looks like it will be a pain to replace when the time comes. I cannot find any details on the corrosion warranty. Does it only apply to body panels?
I just find it curious that one is in this condition and the other one isn't. You can try and see if the dealer will replace it under warranty but I doubt they will since the strut itself isn't defective. If they refuse, I'd just try to clean it up the best you can and apply some kind of rust protector or grease to the exposed part. I agree it could be a bit problematic to change when the time comes. I was going to mention that in my other post but erased it. That could be something to bring up when speaking to the service department.

Peter

Back