CoryL '91 4 Door Getting some Goodies!!! Complete off-road performance modifications. | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CoryL '91 4 Door Getting some Goodies!!! Complete off-road performance modifications.

94 4 Door SAS and More - CoryL

My new winter project.

I'm starting with a 94 4 Door with a 4.0. It had a D35 and 8.8" (obviously), A4LD, and a 1354.

The only thing in there that is staying is the motor. :cool:

The tranny is going to be a C5 followed up by a 4.3:1 Atlas 2.

The suspension is going to change too. Out with the TTB and in with a solid axle.

HP D60 front and a full floating D60 rear. Both have 5.13s and Detroits in them.

I am going to see how much lift the stock leaf springs give me with a SOA setup.

Up front will reside a 5 link setup with S-A-W coilovers.

Going to hack most of the front fenders away, relocate anything on the inner fenders and remove the inner fenders. Going to hack quite a bit in the rear, probably remove the seats and put the larger rear seat in the middle and use some drag race tubs to cover the hole I will leave.

It will be rolling on 38x14.5x16.5 TSL SXs mounted on Hummer Beadlocks (If my line on them stays open).

Look for pics to come soon as I get the Sploder in my garage this Friday!!!

My current wheeling rig has to go though. 87 Bronco II. Its listed in the For Sale Section!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick,
Go with that tank that Fakrwee has. It is beefy, holds ton of gas and does not get in the way. They make all kinds of sizes. If you want I can find the contact info on him and PM it to you.
Or your could just put it in the back seat like Cory has it:D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Big difference between the $700 Fakrwee tank and a $60 BII tank though...

I also want to leave one rear seat in my truck and I have that big ass tool box in back, so much for cheap and easy.

Ya get what you payfor sometimes.
Gas tanks are just something I am not willing to skimp on or try and rig something up.
I am in for one of those. Maybe we could get a group buy or something????

Rick, a Bronco II tank really doesn't work? Damn!! There goes my next mod. How much does it hang down would you guess? Why does it fit so nicely up inside a Bronco II then? Is the floor raised in back? Please Rick fill me in.

Originally posted by CoryL
...start it up and fill it with fluids. Back it out and put the shoes on her! :D

Hmm... I tend to like to have fluids in the vehicle before starting it ;) Lookin good Cory!

you still planning on having this thing out at Attica on June 1? I will probably come out and see it if you do.

Can't fill up the entire tranny without the motor running!

It's also going to be easier to fill up the diffs with the tires on it. More clearance and easier to get to.

I'm trying for June 1st.

Ran into a problem tonight when I went to fire it up.

Went to connect the battery cables and it was arcing A LOT. More than it should. It wasn't doing that about 3 weeks ago when I tested the battery. So somewhere in that timeframe something has changed.

Sigh. I knew it wouldn't be that easy. :mad:

hmmm, for the arcing have you check the winch wiring? (if it is wired in) i know I saw one in one of your build up pics

Hey Rick, try a jeep wrangler tank. They were in the same spot as the BII's and I think they are much shorter and will tuck up underneath better.

Cory, sorry to here about the battery thing. Trying to find a short can alway be a pain.

I think I may be onto something.

Talked to a friend who put a C5 behind his 4.0L and it seems that teh stock C5 starter shouldn't fit. Mine does, so I am thinking there there is some metal contact where there shouldn't be.

He's using the stock A4LD starter. I still have mine, so I am going to give it a try and see if it fixes the problem.

Updates later tonight.

Figured it out. It was the starter.

Seems that I somehow got the stock 2.8L starter to fit inside the C5 housing with the 4.0L block in the way. Sometimes I surprise myself.

The stock A4LD starter is physically smaller and shaped differently to fit and it will work with the C5 flexplate.

Thanks for the help!

More to come tomorrow. Going to a car show this evening.

Originally posted by zensius
Rick, a Bronco II tank really doesn't work? Damn!! There goes my next mod. How much does it hang down would you guess? Why does it fit so nicely up inside a Bronco II then? Is the floor raised in back? Please Rick fill me in.

The spacing must be different between the crossmembers. When you raise the tank into position the front (where the pump access hole is) and the rear of the tank come into contact with the frame crossmembers way before the top of the tank comes close to the floor. I'll take a photo for you to see just how low it hangs.

Well.....after some deliberation and from sitting for six months, I started her up.

Very very hesitant at first and she blew out six months of not running, but she finally got going.

Tomorrow I will get it running right, the power steering fully bled, fill up the tranny more and cycle though the gears.

Then it will be backed out and jacked up. Then the shoes go on!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe this day is finally here!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :D

YES!!! Sounds great!

Rick is it hitting the spare mount crossmember? Cory, it runs, but does it move yet? Have you tried? Come on if you haven't noticed most of us are living vicariously through this thread!:p

if you haven't noticed most of us are living vicariously through this thread!:p

That's for sure! Close to 10,000 views, and I've done my share!

Rick is it hitting the spare mount crossmember? Cory, it runs, but does it move yet? Have you tried? Come on if you haven't noticed most of us are living vicariously through this thread!:p

No, I removed that bracket a long time ago.

Here's the photos. One other thing... To keep it emissions legal you would need to adapt a vent return line from the filler neck to the tank. They check that in AZ and CA during emissions tests. The B-II tank doesn't have a provision for this.

broncofuel3.jpg

broncofuel2.jpg

broncofuel.jpg

I already scrape my shackles. This sits another 8" lower than that... no thanks I like my departure angle as is.

Back