Cost of 4.0L rebuild?? Any guesstimates? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cost of 4.0L rebuild?? Any guesstimates?

adamk145

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Hey guys,

My '92 X currently has 112K miles on it, and is still running well. But, I am pretty sure it will start having problems soon. I was going to sell it, but I have decided to keep it and rebuild the motor and repaint it, install new suspension components, etc.

Just wondering if anybody has had the 4.0L rebuilt in their x and what the cost was. I really have no idea, so any guess will help me out.

My tranny was rebuilt @ approx 65k miles. Don't know how long that will last either :(

Thanks for any help.

Adamk

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Instead of a rebuild, unless you do the deed yourself might consider a crate engine, price is compreble and some offer 100K warrantys

Your 4.0 won't need a rebuild for a while, the OHV motors are tanks. Don't go looking for problems that don't exist.

adamk145 said:
Hey guys,

My '92 X currently has 112K miles on it, and is still running well. But, I am pretty sure it will start having problems soon. I was going to sell it, but I have decided to keep it and rebuild the motor and repaint it, install new suspension components, etc.

Adamk

You don't need to ask that question with only 112k on it! If you keep oil in it, it will run for 200k no problem. 112k is just getting broken in on a 4.0 OHV.

Cost of a rebuild depends on what needs to be replaced. If the heads are cracked, or you've thrown a rod, then why, yes, you're looking at a lot of $$. If all it needs are new pushrods, valve springs, and general top end work then it's just a few hundred dollars. Like anything if you do the work yourself, it will be a lot less.

I dont know how much a engine rebuild will cost for a x, but I got my 97 eclipse rebuilt, becuase of broken rods, and that was only like 2k, I think my insurace covered it. but that still is not a bad price on a rebuild.

what i would recommend is going around and asking, try the small shops as well as the larger ones, also check the dealership.

Great info guys, thanks.

I am glad to hear these engines are strong and last a long time. Makes me feel better about keeping it.

Thanks again :chug:

adamk

Why rebuild the 4.0? When it needs a rebuild is when the 5.0 comes into play :cool:

My OHV actually bit the dust somewhere around 163,000 miles. I had already but too much time and effort into the X to scrap it so I got a Jasper engine with a 75K warranty for around 2600 installed. It's been running great so far!

yah, don't worry about it for a while

The cost to rebuild a 4.0 is approximately $1400 if you have a shop do the entire rebuild. If you do it yourself, it comes to about $800 with the machining work and the rebuild kit(without the cam, lifters or freeze plugs). I know, becuase I just got it back from the machine shop and am waiting on the rebuild kit to start putting it all back together. Hope that helps. Oh yeah, and that is with it punched .30 over.

-Pahelo

Yeah, dont even worry about it at 112k.

I have over 180k and it still runs fine.

Back