• Register Today It's free!

Could this be the timing chain

ctate2

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I have read a lot posts on here about how the 4.0 SOHC engine has a big issue with the timing chains. I have looked up some videos and have listened to some of the noises that a bad timing chain will make and have a question about mine. I have a 2001 sport v6 sohc with 121000 miles on it. Usually when I start the car up in the morning I hear what is hard to explain but its like a sorta loud crackle noise right when the car turns on. It goes away right when it turns on so its different then videos I have watched on youtube with the rattle that goes on until the car warms up. Anybody have any idea whether this is related to the timing chain or what it is?

I also have another noise that I dont think is a big deal, but its like a soft little tick noise that I feel is coming from my air conditioning because I dont ever here it when the air is off. It also only ticks like every 5-10 seconds and you could hardly here it. It sounds sorta like if you were to make a clicking noise with your tongue but not as loud.

Thanks for any answers or suggestions. Hopefully its not my timing chain because I do not have much money to throw into my car as I hear the timing chains are really expensive to fix.

cold start timing chain rattle

. . . Usually when I start the car up in the morning I hear what is hard to explain but its like a sorta loud crackle noise right when the car turns on. It goes away right when it turns on so its different then videos I have watched on youtube with the rattle that goes on until the car warms up. Anybody have any idea whether this is related to the timing chain or what it is? . . .

I had cold start timing chain rattle the next morning after completing replacement of both cassettes, camshaft and primary chain tensioners and primary chain guide. It only lasted for a few seconds until the oil flow reached the timing chain components. Some members have posted that their engine did the same thing from the day their vehicle was purchased new. I couldn't stand the rattle (even for a few seconds) so I installed a pre-oiler. I doubt that yours is a problem. It would be tough to locate the source if the sound only lasts for a few seconds. Some members with the cold start rattle are still driving their Explorer after more than 200K miles. My rear cassette guide failed at 150K miles but when I pulled the valve covers the amount of sludge indicated that the previous owner was negligent performing periodic maintenance.

At 121,000 miles it's worthwhile replacing the tensioners anyway.

That start up rattle is the beginning of timing chain guide failure.
Until the oil pressure builds up in the tensioner the chain will thrash about destroying the guides. Fix the tensioner, stop the thrash, prevent the damage.

As 2000StreetRod said a pre-oiler is a good idea.

Back