• Register Today It's free!

Could this possibly work?

Chickensandwich

Reaction score
City, State
Madison
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Police Utility
2018 PIU, no sync. I haven’t taken the radio out yet so I can’t match up and plugs. This is listed for a 2018 explorer. Anyone know if it’s possible to get at least a large screen and the controls working? I’m sure this was used with sync...but if this won’t work, then I’d have to go with the Phoenix 12.1” screen that gets very mixed reviews

EE138AEA-8A24-47DE-863A-DB228962CC6C.jpeg

BEEF92C6-1694-4CB9-A614-888CABC9B9CF.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’d skip any of the “Tesla” style displays. When they fail ( they will, they don’t sell enough units to work out the bugs) you lose all tour controls.

Phoenix 12.1”... do you research before expending lots of money on that radio, as far as i know will be working ok..ish if you have sync, otherwise many functions will not work, including the AC.

Im currently in a similar boat myself. I managed to get an older style non sony 8 inch bezel out of a wrecked explorer. Waiting on a wire connector to come in in order to try and get it operational. Was able to get an aftermarket stereo hooked up without any problem as far as audio goes, but the HVAC goes wonky when I used the Metra kit for a 2015. Ive tried swapping out the HVAC module with different versions, but no luck so far. Im placing all of my eggs on the wire to let me have an aftermarket radio in my 18 PIU.

The Metra kits only fit and work up to '15. The '16 and later are different and as I understand....not easy to retrofit aftermarket gear.

The only thing I have seen is the companies that use all Ford parts and they're like $1500.

The Metra kits only fit and work up to '15. The '16 and later are different and as I understand....not easy to retrofit aftermarket gear.

The only thing I have seen is the companies that use all Ford parts and they're like $1500.
If you don’t have sync, your basically totally screwed. For a system to have something so intertwined into its DNA is stupid to offer any vehicles without SYNC.

I purchased a 2018 Ford PIU after my 2015 PIU got totaled. The 2015 I was able to use a Metra system and install an aftermarket radio with little to no problems what so ever. I think the biggest head scratcher was where to run the amp wiring through. After purchasing the 2018 3.5L with the rear AC, I was ecstatic and ready to go. Well, Its now November and I still cant find a work around to get the aftermarket stereo to work.

Ive attempted to install the Metra system, which fit perfectly but WOULD NOT OPERATE THE AC. It would throw the rear ac on and full Heat. Purchased three different HVAC modules for it, and still the same results. My next step was to try installing a different radio bezel, ended up finding a wrecked 2013 Explorer that had the 8inch but it used the old style plug. I depinned the plug for the radio bezel and then used a wire plug that matches it to attempt to get it to function through the stock system. I was able to get the hazards to function, but the other buttons wouldnt work. I am unaware if this was due to water damage in the accident or wiring issue.

After throwing in the towel on that, I pressed into the Idatalink realm. The radio I originally purchased is a Pioneer CH5500 Nex, which can use the Idatalink system, which includes displaying the temperature of the HVAC. The problem spawns from here, when I installed the original metra wiring harness, I was able to get power to the radio without a problem, just the HVAC didnt want to work with it.

Well, the Maestro RR MFT-1 wiring harness doesnt carry power directly to the radio like most harnesses. It feeds a 12v constant to the Maestro RR module and then directs voltage out to the head unit. Im pretty confident that this may work as a work around, but my PIU is a 4.2 inch model without sync. I contacted Idatalink support about why I wasnt getting power to that portion of the harness but the 12v constant was running fine and I was told by the support branch flat out that the Maestro RR does not work with the 4.2 inch system.

Im pretty much tapped right now, although Im confident that the Maestro system would work if you could figure out the wiring.

If there are questions in regards to this and thats to what I used, message me and Ill inform you.

I purchased a 2018 Ford PIU after my 2015 PIU got totaled. The 2015 I was able to use a Metra system and install an aftermarket radio with little to no problems what so ever. I think the biggest head scratcher was where to run the amp wiring through. After purchasing the 2018 3.5L with the rear AC, I was ecstatic and ready to go. Well, Its now November and I still cant find a work around to get the aftermarket stereo to work.

Ive attempted to install the Metra system, which fit perfectly but WOULD NOT OPERATE THE AC. It would throw the rear ac on and full Heat. Purchased three different HVAC modules for it, and still the same results. My next step was to try installing a different radio bezel, ended up finding a wrecked 2013 Explorer that had the 8inch but it used the old style plug. I depinned the plug for the radio bezel and then used a wire plug that matches it to attempt to get it to function through the stock system. I was able to get the hazards to function, but the other buttons wouldnt work. I am unaware if this was due to water damage in the accident or wiring issue.

After throwing in the towel on that, I pressed into the Idatalink realm. The radio I originally purchased is a Pioneer CH5500 Nex, which can use the Idatalink system, which includes displaying the temperature of the HVAC. The problem spawns from here, when I installed the original metra wiring harness, I was able to get power to the radio without a problem, just the HVAC didnt want to work with it.

Well, the Maestro RR MFT-1 wiring harness doesnt carry power directly to the radio like most harnesses. It feeds a 12v constant to the Maestro RR module and then directs voltage out to the head unit. Im pretty confident that this may work as a work around, but my PIU is a 4.2 inch model without sync. I contacted Idatalink support about why I wasnt getting power to that portion of the harness but the 12v constant was running fine and I was told by the support branch flat out that the Maestro RR does not work with the 4.2 inch system.

Im pretty much tapped right now, although Im confident that the Maestro system would work if you could figure out the wiring.

If there are questions in regards to this and thats to what I used, message me and Ill inform you.
No sync, you’re basically SOL. If I ever buy another Explorer PIU, it will have sync or I won’t buy it. You’re basically crippled if you want a better sound system or larger screen. Never again.

Back